1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress [Enermax CaseCon-Contest @ WMI]TheCube by Subway

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Subway, 16 Jul 2013.

1. Subway

Subway What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys,

in the next few days I will show you what I done in the last weeks for the Enermax CasCon-Contest on We-Mod-It.

I think that all casemodder only use black and whit, so I think I trie it with much more colors [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just kidding, It is my SketchUp File, where I mark all same parts in one color

Now I will describe you my project "TheCube" - I think it's not difficult to understand that I will build a cube [​IMG]
    The model of the design of TheCube was the Rubiks or in German also called "Zauberwürfel". I think an other case with many colors are very good but mx girlfriend said to me that she will choose the colors and the position of the colors - so I use my standard color black and red [​IMG]
    The skeleton (I don't now if this is the right word) of my case will be a wood skeleton, it is much easier to built and also cheaper. I will use 2x2cm of wood, so I get an solid framework.
    The framework and the pedestal of the the will paint in red and the plate of the pedestal will paint in black. Later I will use acrylic glass in red and black to hide the wood framework.
    The black panels and the red backplates will have a distance, so there it is no problem with the cooling air for the pc.
    The best thing of my concept is (I think so [​IMG] ) that you can't see what is the cover of my case. You can see the cover will implement in the case.

I will buy a saw, so its easier for my

This is the front of my case, I know it looks at all sides like this [​IMG] but I think it is the front
    [​IMG]

I don't really know which side is this but I think it is the right side.
    [​IMG]

Here you can see, that the HW is also turned, because otherwise it is impossible to get all the HW in TheCube
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 23 Jul 2013
    Pranja likes this.
  2. Paladin | Patrick

Paladin | Patrick LiveModder

Very nice Projekt. I like the colors Black and red.
    Rock the Contest dude :D

3. Subway

Subway What's a Dremel?

Today I taked with Paladin and we think or I think it is better when the socket will be more included / implemented into the framework. I know it is more beautiful when the socket will build with 9 pieces or more but I think it don't fit to my concept. It's my concept and I built the case for me and not only to win this contest.

A short update of my "new" cellar. My neighbor said it looks like a torture chamber [​IMG] He don't believe me that this is my nail studio and the tools are only for the nails [​IMG]

At my last visit, I "find" some tools where I think that my dad don't use them in the near future [​IMG] At the pictures below, you can see a jigsaw, bar clamps, router and so on
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are the last pics before I opened my nail studio [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I
    n the cellar I find a big plane and use them to protect the cellars of my neighbors from dust.
    [​IMG]

I only taped the plane to the sticks, so I can use it in future for other things again.
    [​IMG]

these are the finals pics of the cellar
    [​IMG]

Y
    esterday a packat from my sponsor arrived with some nice gadgets for my router
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will start to work at the cube, when I have the acylic glass or the wood for the framework.

Here you can see again the Cube with the pieces which has the same sice.
    [​IMG]

The framework of the cube without the acylic glass. The tow black planks are for the mainboard and the SSD.
    [​IMG]

The purple sticks are the frame of the top and the bottom framework.
    [​IMG]

I can't use tow trays with the same size because the CPU air cooler are to big or the case to small [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The orange piece are the new socket of the cube.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The new socket are taller than the old one, so you can fix the MB tray at the socket.
    [​IMG]

That the MB tray hold on the socket I wil saw a 45° angel in the socket.
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the bottom framework with the hardware inside.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I talked the last days with the carpenter, Pala and PcProblem because the carpenter think that it costs 150€.
    Today I talked with Pala because I think its easier to use a single plank at each side. In each plank I will cut all of the wholes with the jig saw.
    Tomorrow I will buy all the planks for the framework and the socket. The only Problem is, that I bought a saw for this project and the saw arrieved today. Now I will look if I use them in future or send it back to the shop.

[​IMG]

The outside of the cube is the same as the last version.
    [​IMG]

A short update of my shopping tour. The MDF planks are much cheaper than the planks and sticks. This evening I will start with my case.
    [​IMG]
    I was high again [​IMG] So you can see the different planks or the to pieces.
    [​IMG]

You can see the 45° angel at the top of the planks. So I get a perfect cube where the planks fits
    [​IMG]

4. Subway

Subway What's a Dremel?

I am not come very far yesterday, there were issues in the office. I first try with a jigsaw to cut across the plates, but did not even work out with the rail. I simply milled through the plate and this has worked wonderfully. But I found today, I have not 100% milled straight. Has slipped 2 mm on a side. That's why I bought an extra 7 of the side panels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What it looked like after the experiment with the jigsaw [​IMG] The image of the state, when I milled the plates to the same size.

[​IMG]

But overall it looks like a square from;)

[​IMG]

Today I was again in the cellar but I made ​​no noises. I have dedicated myself to the framework and measured and painted these. At first it was difficult to come to terms with the dimensions, since this one does not seem quite logical.

One of the three parts of the framework top. Right and below may be recognizable, that there are gabs of 1cm, so I get an edge length of 40cm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rough process, such as the separate side parts formed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After about half of the items, I had to take a break and what is better than a cold Red Bull
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The two different pieces side by side

[​IMG]

In the next days I will make other parts and start the saw out. At the weekend I'll take the parts with my father and cut this with the buzz saw to the desired size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Subway

Subway What's a Dremel?

Yesterday my acrylic glass has finally arrived but not completely. Later I will count it again but my acrylic glass rods were not there.
    When I saw this, I thought, fu **, I ordered red instead of black panels. They're also numbered, but there are not the outer panels.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately, the red panels are more translucent than expected but that's ok.
    [​IMG]

These are all black plates, some of them have a gray screen protector.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I like this color combination [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've packed everything important for the weekend that I can continue

[​IMG]

I phoned on Friday with the supplier of my rods he knew nothing! I was only wondering, because I find it very transparent for an opaque acrylic glass. The theme of the film, I will address again, some plates are heavily scratched and I really would like to have replaced these.
    I will write an e-mail today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have built the cube further on the weekend, while my girlfriend has learned.

First I cut the planks to the right length and width.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My 45 ° cutter is only 11mm high and my boards are 16mm. So I went to the Bauhaus and wanted to buy a cutter - was unfortunately no larger cutter

[​IMG]

The solution: The board is milled 8x8mm or 16x8mm and then angled 45 °. Thus, I get even better stability of the parts as if they only saw on miter.
    [​IMG]

The milled edges with the angle (16x8mm and 8x8mm). These are parts of the test, they do not fit 100%.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With the milled edges of the compounds is hopefully more stable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Subway

Subway What's a Dremel?

I have not done much today, because many roads are closed due to flooding and landslides (danger), so I stood in jam. Today I made one of the side panels. The side parts, which I made at the weekend could also use it as a template.

It worked well until I turned the side part. I realized that I have edited the wrong side or have put the cutter on the wrong side.
    [​IMG]

To recognize it is not good but at the upper tip you recognize two dashes that make up the outer frame.

[​IMG]

With such a large and detailed drawings, this could happen. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was still in the Bauhaus and bought 6 boards. From this I build a framework that will help me to stabiles of the parts when I will stick them together.

[​IMG]

With these machines, it's hopefully a lot easier.

[​IMG]

Today I milled the first edges. I hope that I will mill more than two edges tomorrow

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first part worked without any problems,at the second plank underestimated the distance to the edges

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I should clean the vacuum cleaner
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It looks very good but at the right side you can see my two mistakes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you don't fix the router it looks like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It fit's - the side panels also get some holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big thanks to Benjamin from Enermax for these packet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also plexiglas.de send me an packet to see that I ordered the wrong color. The arylic glas at the left I ordered but I wanted to order the right one, but it doesn't matter!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Subway

Subway What's a Dremel?

To make it faster, I stacked the three boards. Only at milling I must mod every board separate.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here you can see how it will looks like in future.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]