1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding How do you plan mods?/Modding questions

Discussion in 'Modding' started by R_H, 10 Jun 2006.

1. R_H

R_H What's a Dremel?

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering how the experienced modders in this forum plan their mods (how, how long does it take etc)

what i'm specifically interested in is how to plan a custom case build (looking for something to keep me busy over the summer holidays)

Last edited: 23 Jul 2006
  2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I'd take a look at sketchup, and the component collection here.

Welcome to bit-tech, good luck with the mod :)

3. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

i personaly keep a log book as i come up with so many ideas all the time, and i draw my designs into that.

but anyway, just sketch lots of ideas down, and the ones that seem feasable, model in SketchUp to see if the dimesions work

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I use Freehand otherwise than 3D-Programs to bring all my thoughts into 1:1 Models.
    Like in old good times, just technical drawings ;)

When I got any kind of new idea, I put it first down to paper and made my mind, if it's possible to realize. If I think that it is posible, I switch to the step above.

5. R_H

R_H What's a Dremel?

i know about sketchup already, saw it mentionned earlier today in a worklog and wrote it down (know about vector too)

i've been doing some of the initial planning by hand of case components, one of my goals for this mod is easy "setup" (damn the word is escaping me)...assembly , that's the word i'm looking for

another objective is to go about outside of the box in terms of case formfactor (cubish+squat maybe?)

theme will possibly the WH40K double headed aquil(l)a or something else WH40K related

edit: btw, sweet sig Guardian

edit: some more ideas about the planned mod
    - will be aircooled, but will have all the necessary "infrastructure" (for lack of better word) to accomodate popular WC kits
    - "power bus" (RCA plugs) used to power various components (inspired by Defyant's use of RCA plugs in his mods..."power bus" (C)R_H )
    - keyboard, mouse and headset (maybe monitor also) modded to match theme
    - rudimentry (sp?) motherboard stealthing (maybe something along the lines of what Cptn. Slug was doing with the Mk. V?)
    - materials: acrylic, fiberglass, heavy gauge wire, aluminium or steel tubing
    - some other stuff that i can't remember ATM and that i can't pick out of my mind right now
    maybe a mobo back light (along the lines of XP and project blakice), but using LEDs instead of CCs (heard some nasty things about them...inverters setting on fire etc)

Last edited: 12 Jun 2006
  6. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

I usually have an idea and make some sketches on paper and take some notes, but nothing really serious. Mostly i'll keep ideas on my mind and change it if needed while the mod is still under construction. Is less acurate than other ways, but maybe more flexible and take less time with a 3d program.

A W40K themed case is alwyas welcome. Good luck.

7. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

First I start with a subject: My new mod for example is Hellgate:London (Planning stage)

Then I ask myself what should this mod portray? ex: In hellgate london all of the artwork has shades of red, metal, and lava.

So we now know a few things
    A) Red highlights (UV Plexi, LED Fans, Red Sleeving)
    B) Something to convey the lava (Large bore watercooling with fassomatics and red uv dye will do the trick)
    C) Metal covers (Think Tribal Overkill)

Then think to yourself about what skills you have, tools, and how big you want your case to be.

In my project I need 3 things. Silence, space for 2 3x120mm radiators, and portray a sense of metal. (Any modder should have guess Lian-Li by now)

a) The Pcv1000 isnt long enough for a triple rad in the bottom and the PcV2000 is too big for me. So with that reasoning I then chose a PcV1200b.
    b) Also note that the Radiators are Red and the intense cooling was chosen for two reasons.
    1) I'm pelt cooling both the proc and the video card.
    2) The more tubeing, the better sense of lava

Once you've chosen the case you then get to the fun part. I like to call this the sketching section. I reccomend looking at what other modders have done with the same or similar cases. You dont want to make a copy of someone elses work but usually it'll be good for inspiration and help you to understand the potential/limits of the case. I go about it like this:

A) Start with an outside drawing of what you want people to see. (what is your window going to look like? What will you be able to see through the window? What dont you want to be seen.)
    B) thing about the layout inside of the case and how it will be viewed from the outside. (Do you want the cables to be non-existent, or a part of the mod? Do you want to have cover for your pump that adds to the case or do you want the pump hidden so nobody knows that it's there.)
    C) Then once you have the layout on the outside figured out you can begin focusing on more of the details. For example: I want my drives to be covered but I need to know where to cut holes for the wireing and the connectors. I realize that I have two options; Hidden or non hidden. Do I use guitar jacks or molexes? How many will I need? Is everything well cooled? Will it be easy to take off?

After you've planned out everything to minute details you then take into account budget. Do you really want $300 of plexi, aluminum, and wireing? What can you cut/ what's important. Do you really have all the tools you need? Are you actually willing to spend four hours filing down a small piece of metal?

Then, after you're finally sure about what you want to accomplish you make out an order form, search for the best prices, have it shipped out, grab some bawls (the energy drink), and confuse your dad with the phrase, "Jesus this case was expensive. Like $250! Now can you tell me where the jigsaw blades are? I need to cut a hole in the side of it."

8. R_H

R_H What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the example Fozzy, and your input too Kumo

i have some more ideas for the side and top windows that fit the theme

9. Navig

Navig What's a Dremel?

Flip thru worklogs. Most will give you a good progression from concept to completion.

Here are some of mine--all constructed from the same 2 kits of Lubic parts. I think they all illustrated what I had originally conceived as straight from my head, followed by a rough sketch, then follow thru to a complete system, with various compromises and alterations, plus each required learning various new skill sets.

I've worked with components a lot, so I can conceive in my head pretty well how things are going to play out. I don't really have the patience for sketchup. But definitely approach everything as thoughtfully as possible--Measure 5 times before cutting!

System#1--Dual tower.

System 2--Single Tower.

System 3--Bench style rig.

Either layouts 1 or 3 would be conducive to watercooling, even multiple loops, tho I'm primarily an air cooler.

navig

10. J0d3r

J0d3r What's a Dremel?

I get the tower and after Ill begin planning what to do her :p

11. R_H

R_H What's a Dremel?

i've been doing a lot of flipping through worklogs...opening FF has my connection hitting 300kB/s, that's how many worklogs i have open

12. [WP@]WOLVERINE

[WP@]WOLVERINE What's a Dremel?

all you need is
    1. A brain with mad ideas inside
    2. A piece of paper
    3. A pen
    4. A Case of beer
    5. Time

Mix all of the above and BAM!! there it is :) Works for me everytime

13. R_H

R_H What's a Dremel?

i have 1-3 all the time, 4 i'm too young for and don't like the taste of :p and i'll soon have 5 (summer break)

edit: i have some more ideas

color scheme: darkest black mixed w/ some purple (most of chassis) accented by chrome + "smoke" (metallic grey that i saw in someone else's worklog, can't remember who though)

fans: 120mm and 92mm (2*92mm for front intake, drawing air over 2 sets of HD cages, 2*120mm blowhole, 2*120mm exhaust, 2*92mm or 2*120mm side intake)

fan controller: either bought or fabricated by me...or touchscreen LCD that will control fans (does that even exist and if yes, are there any that work when no OS is present)

Last edited: 11 Jun 2006
  14. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I usually do quick sketches on paper but better ideas usually get sketchUpped. If I'm already doing a case, I temp to make cardboard models into it and see if they really work/fit.

15. Noobkiller

Noobkiller What's a Dremel?

what I like to do is grab a piece of paper, draw out my ideas. Then I write the materials i need, where the shops I get them from, and the tools i need

16. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

First I determine the color and material scheme and after that I start making sketches, just with a normal pencil. When I have decide what components will be used I search the internet for all the measurements. To make sure everything fits and to get a real good idea of what it will look like, I make paper models. After this I start with the actual modding.

17. R_H

R_H What's a Dremel?

how long do your planning phases take ?

18. R_H

R_H What's a Dremel?

a quick question

what name are those round switches sold under (similar to those on back of PSUs, but round)(i know that defyant and XP have used them in their mods)

19. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Freehand sketching. I very rarely use sketchup, simply because while it's useful, it doesn't allow me some of the freedoms that I get with a pencil. It's great for measuring stuff to make sure you don't have parts grinding against each others, so I only use it as a check really.
    Cardboard models are a great idea that I'm probably going to use from here on out. I didn't think about it before... somehow I had styrofoam stuck in my head and a cardboard box just didn't click with me.

So, hand sketching for most planning, conceputual stuff, general ideas, and all that. Then trying to fit things in SU to measure. I hate using it for actually making a case - I find it's a real pain to join up 1mm thick panels within the program, especially if they've ever got any curves.

R_H - XLR-type jacks are what you mean, I think. Like those on the modular Hiper units?

20. R_H

R_H What's a Dremel?

i have no idea what they're called
    btw, do you have link to your WC FAQ, thanks :)

anyways, i was able to brainstorm more ideas today (mod will be made of 3 different modules) and i came up with a list of some tools that i will need to buy before i can start the project (can you guys look over them, thanks :) )

in CDN
    Dremel 300-series Rotary Tool Kit---129.99$ (will wait until it goes on sale)
    http://tinyurl.com/m7al2

Black & Decker 3/8-in. 5A VSR Drill---39.99$ *don't need this*
    http://tinyurl.com/mekbr

Black & Decker 4A Jigsaw---39.99$
    http://tinyurl.com/l9aj3

Jobmate Cut-out Tool---24.99$
    http://tinyurl.com/rxw9q

Mastercraft Random Orbit Sander---19.99$
    http://tinyurl.com/n4dk2

Mastercraft ¼ Sheet Sander--19.99$ *don't need this*
    http://tinyurl.com/la7m2

Mastercraft Dual Respirator Filter Mask--41.99$ *don't need this*
    http://tinyurl.com/maytw

1,100/1,500W Heat Gun--13.99$
    http://tinyurl.com/f4vfw

Total: 316.93$ (before tax) revised: 228.95$ ---> 244.98$ after tax
    Total: 339.12$ after tax :jawdrop: ...just for tools, oh well, it's about time we got these power tools, and i'm sure the list will get revised (pretty sure we have a sheet sander, and we probably don't need another drill)

Last edited: 13 Jun 2006