Other How to dispose of old hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by smc8788, 7 Jun 2012.

1. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I have a couple of old laptops lying around, one is ancient and the other is not so old but is well and truly broken beyond reasonable repair. The thing is I have no idea what to do with them - you can't just chuck them, I've checked with my local authority and there are no local recycling centres for them, I've searched online for companies that will take them but pretty much all the ones I've found only deal with businesses looking to shift end of life machines and will only take working PCs with a half decent minimum spec.

So, how the hell am I supposed to get rid of these responsibly? I sure as hell don't want to be hanging on to them any longer...

2. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Some charities take them even if they are broken, I think I may have just put mine in the bin (it was missing a display and battery anyway) :/

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Can be stripped for parts. For example someone here may find use for the laptops CPU.

4. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

5. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Even if your just looking to get rid - do a ebay sale and donate 100% of taking to charity.

You would have to check how much ebay take off you etc but am sure you could work it so your not out of pocket, you get rid of the laptop and a charity benefits from your kindness.

6. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Take them to the dump and put them in the relevant electrical box/container.

Putting them on ebay just means hassle imo.

7. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

^^ local tip and the electricals bin

8. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

Look down the street and see if anyone's got a skip outside, wait for the cover of darkness and go stealth operation.

Failing that I just skip it down the local dump.

9. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

I would generally agree with tip but OP stated - 'I've checked with my local authority and there are no local recycling centres for them'

I'm lucky as my local tip has one and working for an IT company I can always get stuff collected from work

10. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Just go to the nearest one then. How far can that possibly be. There's about 3 within 5 miles of me.

11. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Well, my local tip is only a couple of miles away but they don't specifically state they take waste electronics/computers. I could always take them down anyway and ask I suppose.

12. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/business/topics/waste/32084.aspx

Householders can:

ask the retailer if they'll take products back
    take old appliances to their local civic amenity site
    arrange for their local authority to collect the equipment (some local authorities provide a free collection service and others charge)
    arrange for an electrical retailer delivering new equipment to take away the old appliance

I am 99% sure your local recycling centre MUST take all non-enterprise electric items at no additional cost.

13. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

As already mentioned, list them as spares / repairs on the bay.

No hassle - if you clearly point out that they are broken and only useful for spares.

If the CoA is intact and legible, mark it as a selling point. I transplanted the components from a shattered laptop chassis into a replacement that had a CoA, bought on ebay for £15. Being the same make and model - the CoA worked just fine with an OS recovery.

14. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

Sneaky, but I like it! :thumb:

15. Williz

Williz Minimodder

I usually just bring my stuff to work and chuck it in the disposal room... But then I guess that's the perks of working in IT. Otherwise I'd goto the tip, mine has a bit for electronics (TVs, etc)

16. Reg216uk

Reg216uk Minimodder

This is something ive been debating but im aways sceptical about it as the hardrives still contain data even after being formatted. Think ill skip them after removing the HDDs and burning them haha.

17. donok

donok Every Little Helps .....

I hate dropping stuff at the skip esp after the recent doc on tv showing the stuff ending up in Nigeria. I'd go charity shop

18. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

reminds me of those bags for clothes - they resell the clothes and doanate less than 10% of the money to the nominated charity - the other 90% is for ` wages` - i give the clothes to the lcoal scouts and guides when they want donations , at least they get all the money for the young people.