1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals I am looking for some Modem/Router recomendations for £75 or less

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kuroidoragon, 26 Aug 2020.

1. kuroidoragon

kuroidoragon Minimodder

if such a thing exists is there a Modem/Router for £75 or less or a bit more if I have to that is a good or reasonable make with a Strong Signal strength more then my current one I can find plenty of modem/routers but none go into details about how great the strength of the signal is

our current one is a Asus AC86U AC 1900 ( I think)

so I am looking for some recomendations please

Last edited: 26 Aug 2020
  2. silk186

silk186 Derp

I would look at TP-Link

kuroidoragon likes this.
  3. kuroidoragon

kuroidoragon Minimodder

anyone inparticular from TPlink ?
    I litterally know nothing about modem/routers & would like to know which one specifically is better than mine for around £75

4. jsbombjack

jsbombjack Minimodder

kuroidoragon likes this.
  5. kuroidoragon

kuroidoragon Minimodder

6. silk186

silk186 Derp

kuroidoragon likes this.
  7. kuroidoragon

kuroidoragon Minimodder

at the moment i got a 5 meter long USB 3 cable with a WIFI adapter on the other end reaching closer to the modem/router with a %100 signal but would be nice to do it with a non ghetto solution

I just updated our modem/routers firmware which was scary for me as I had not done it before but it seems to have gone in no problems

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

The Asus AC68U is AC1900 with 3x3 wifi, I have this.
    The Asus AC86U is faster (AC2100?) with 4x4 wifi.

Both are not low spec routers. AC68 was high end until it was replaced by AC86 and later AC88. You'd find it hard to find better router for £75. The TP-link you linked only have 2x2 wifi configuration.

How good is your Wifi adapter? Does it have at least 2x2 configuration? Is this the only device you have connection problems? If so, I'd be looking at getting a better Wifi adapter.

If you are looking to remove dead spots in your house, any cheap AC1200 access point (or router configured as access point) placed close to the dead spot will always give better result than direct router replacement.

kuroidoragon likes this.
  9. silk186

silk186 Derp

Replace the USB 3 wifi adapter with a TP-link router set as an AP, It's ideal if you can wire them together but not necessary.

kuroidoragon likes this.
  10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Yes do this!

Set router in extender mode, where it receives Wifi and repeats the signal to nearby devices, like Wifi extender. Then plug your computer into the LAN ports of the router. You'll get good Wifi signal near your computer for your phone, and no more problems on your computer. 2 birds 1 stone.

kuroidoragon likes this.
  11. silk186

silk186 Derp

Get this or this. I don't see any reason to have a combined modem-router unless you are really tight on space. If space is limited you could try a solution like this.

I have a model, router and gigabyte switch to cover my 2 bedroom flat. The modem works fine, I can get support from my ISP and I can switch ISPs without needing new hardware. Gigabyte switch lets me add more wired devices then my router supports. The wireless router has one job, cover my house with a strong wireless connection.

My parents have a large house, so I ran cable to the second floor and added an AP with the same creds as the one on the first floor. It covered the house for years until recently.
    They need to upgrade now because they have too many wireless devices and it struggles (5 adults with phones, tablets, laptops and lots of other connected devices.

kuroidoragon likes this.
  12. kuroidoragon

kuroidoragon Minimodder

so pretty unanimous then set up a Acess Point I will look into that if the 5 meter long cable isnt favoured where I have it out all the time hidden away

Thanks for the replies I have been at work so I have only just seen the responses...Thank you

13. silk186

silk186 Derp

Run a Cat6 cable between the router and AP.

14. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I tried to work it out, but can't see what the difference is between Archer C and A models...? Was assuming integrated modem but that wasn't obvious from Amazon's pages.

15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

From memory, having reviewed a couple of Archers in the dim and distant, you're quite right: A is ADSL/VDSL with modem, C is "cable" without.

EDIT: ...except the A7 *doesn't* have a modem so... Either my memory's going, which is always possible, or TP-Link's trying to confuse everyone.

16. silk186

silk186 Derp

TP-Link Archer C6 AC1200 - has MU-MIMO (newer tech), 5 antenna
    TP-Link Archer A7 AC1750 - faster and has USB, 3 antenna
    both are Gigabit Dual Band

from Reddit