1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam L4D2 Bit Tech Group??

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by logan'srun, 27 Nov 2009.

1. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

Hi Hi,

I'm leaving this open to change the title name later (if needed), but I'm curious as to see what kind of interest there is for the members of Bit-Tech to create a Steam Community Group for L4D2?

I started to ask this in another thread, but it was the wrong place to do so and thus have started a new thread for it.

The Goal

To have a like minded group of (somewhat) Tech Savvy (or at least interested in, I mean you're here right?) individuals who would like to join a Bit Tech L4D2 group.

The individuals should be interested in serious play with fun as the focus in the different aspects of L4D2.

The Purpose

To create a meeting point of players that are active in L4D2 and the different game styles from Versus to Scavenge, Campaign to Realism. After all, L4D is better with people that you know then a bunch of randoms. Since BT is a international site there would be different groups of players assembled throughout the day guaranteeing that you should be able to find 3 other individuals online willing to game. I'm aware that BT is generally a EU site, but there is a fair share of the readership from elsewhere. the mix of players would allow us to be exposed to different levels of tactics, gameplay, strategy and overall FUN!
    In this meeting point would you as the player have the opportunity to join in the group and find a collection of players either A)ready to play and get a game going, or B)be already playing and thus easier for you to join a game with friends.
    Also, since there are members here that are techies; it would be possible that we have access either to a dedicated server or ventrilo server for group use.

Official Bit Tech?

I'd like the viewpoints here of the various admins as to whether or not we can create a Bit Tech group and if the approval of BT's usage is OK. Of course it's not important that the group be named 'Bit-Tech' - we can come up with our own name, but since this is the common ground for the majority here it is easier in the transition to Steam Community Group.
    Another point is, if we become official, then who are the acting leaders of the group? Would it be someone from the site? Or someone who acts in their place?

Involvement

If this is interesting to you, please reply in the thread, and if the Goals above need changing or amending I'll edit the first post as we progress. Also if there are suggestions to add they'll be updated in the first post as well. Once we get closer to realizing the group we'll move on to the actual process later.

I hope that this idea comes to fruition as I'm sure there is a percentage of members that don't have the opportunity to game 6 hrs a day, but when we find the odd hour and a half of freetime - that it isn't spent looking for a decent game filled with players who constantly RageQuit, spam 'pills' 'pills' 'pills' , or ask you 'what's a console?'. I myself am doing this for a very selfish reason, I want to be able to play when I can and I find myself online. : )

2. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

The question is, whether there's already an existing Bit Tech/CPC Steam group, could a mod link to it please? I know it's there, so chances are whoever was grouped up for the first L4D will have moved to the new game.

Steam name is the same as here anyway, working 9-6 but home from 8pm weeknights - will be mostly about weekends for me.

3. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

4. logan'srun

yeah, i saw that. It would still be nice if BT could update then the front page and list the games everyone was interested in? Or perhaps that list would be too big?

I'm in the group now (steamname) as 'damned^' or just 'damned' (sometimes I change it to LOLgun) so look for me if ppl are up for some L4D2.

CET+1 for stockholm kk?

5. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

Signed up woooo

6. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I'm up for something more organised than the Bit-Tech steam group, which is pretty huge at the moment.

If someone sets up a smaller L4D 2 group, I'll join it in a flash. I only ever get to play with randoms, so it'd be nice to play with some familiar names for a change. I usually play between 2200-2300 GMT weekdays, or weekend mornings.

7. logan'srun

well then, maybe we should start an 'un-official' Bit tech L4D2 group? To keep it more focused on just this game?

I don't have the time to run the group (father of 2, 50hr workweek IRL = suxxor) so admin duties hit a low priority for me.

however, I tend to be online 4 days a week for 2-3hrs everytime between cet+1 22-0100 and little longer if it's a weekend night.

If there is enough interest we should start one then. Otherwise, what would be the best solution to single out the L4D2 players and let them know there are players searching for a game? Chatroom in the group? Does that even work, like are people there?

8. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I think an unnoficial L4D2 bit-tech group isn't a bad idea. I wouldn't have time to admin it, but I'm happy to set it up if there's interest. I'll look into it tonight.

9. logan'srun

i'll be in the chatroom on BT's group looking for a game if anyone's interested. . .

in about 1hr. . .

10. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Well I play L4D2, my steamfriends acct name is ou7blaze.

Add me, I'd love to play with you guys. :)

11. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

definately be up for a few games with you chaps :) maybe some vs too the way things are looking

12. logan'srun

sat in the chatroom the other night, it was very lonely. I think the need for an 'un'' official BT group is present. I'll look into it later. . .

13. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

Signed up

14. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

I'll tell you how these Steam Communities work for me.

I am usually logged into Steam when I'm at home. When an announcement comes through like "PC Format - TF2 night kicks off in 10 minutes!!! IP 212.34.134. etc etc", then I boot up whatever game it is and jump on the server. I find most community groups are disorganised and don't do the announcements like they should. I belong to 23 groups, and I get announcements from maybe 3 of them. Therefore I NEVER look at the community pages for those groups because they don't draw my attention in. I don't add readers gaming nights to a calendar or diary because that's too much hassle - I would be surprised if many people did.

Just like clans/guilds, if a community group has strong leadership then you can get good gaming accomplished, otherwise people will just randomly join servers as and when.

Now, just like Ryu above me, I've signed up as well. But if there are no announcements through Steam communities then it'll just be another group on my list.

Incidentally:

L4D2
    CS:S
    or
    TF2

Get those announcements coming through!

15. logan'srun

Allright, it's done.

Here's the group in all it's unofficial status.

I'll make it more pretty later, this is just quick and dirty version, everything can change later with good suggestions. If anyone has a better name, leave it here or in the comments.

If anyone is interested in being an officer and being more committed than I will be , please contact me.

cheers and let's make this happen!

Last edited: 7 Dec 2009
  16. logan'srun

*bump* for posterity

17. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

that link takes me to the demot thread!

on a side note does anyone know the most probablr location for the crowbar to spawn in L4D2? as I need it for one of the achivements.

18. logan'srun

LINK

That was really strange, I swear I linked the group before. . .

all links fixed now

19. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Joined, though i have a different username on steam though: Fail_Quail*

*username is so old now i can't even remember <why> it's different :)

You may need to poke me though, i'm shy and have yet to play L4D outside of my group of RL friends :blush:

20. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Joined the group, looking forward to playing with other Bit-Techers at some point! :rock: