1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Loss of USB ports after Windows 7 Update

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Huge, 11 Jul 2011.

1. Huge

Huge aka Dave

After windows updated itself (back in June) I lost my two USB ports on the left side of my laptop. The one on the right hand side still worked and after a system restore to before the update I got them back. This proves the hardware must be OK so what would cause them to stop working? After a short while Windows updated itself again and once again I lost the use of my two ports.

After my uni exams were over I reinstalled windows (I like to reinstall once a year to keep my install fresh and to weed out old installs and files I no longer use). For a few days I had the use of all my USB ports again but before long windows got through a bunch of updates and again knocked my two left USB ports out.

I have no idea what the update is but here is the spec of my laptop:
    HP dv3-2055ea (completely standard)
    Windows 7 Home Premium

Any ideas?

If it makes any difference, I noticed the loss when trying to connect my new phone with my laptop and had first thought the problem was linked to that. I have the Samsung Galaxy S2, I don't have Samsung's Kies program installed (as it was very slow and laggy for me), I do file transfers using windows explorer.

2. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Could be a driver issue, search your model at HP support and try reinstalling the chipset driver (the usb ports are usually controlled by the mobo chipset).

3. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I had this before too. I solved by 'removing' the USB ports from the Device Manager and then scanning for hardware changes to pick them back up again. Quick fix and works a treat.

4. -=ByteMan=-

-=ByteMan=- What's a Dremel?

RE: Windows Loss of USB ports after Windows 7 Update

I had loads of problems after installing Windows 7 32 bit on my old HP Compaq NX6110, the USB ports kept going offline, I had to disable them in device manager and re-enable them every time to detect my USB pen drives, but I have now found a fix:

If you drill down into the advanced power management settings thee is an option called 'USB selective suspend' turn this option off, my USB ports are now working fine.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/147369-usb-selective-suspend-turn-off.html

Hope this helps

-=ByteMan=-

5. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Thanks for your replies, I've tried removing and scanning and reinstalling drivers but I hadn't heard of the selective suspend. Having done that one of the two USB devices is working properly again. The second still isn't recognised by Windows, when I plug my USB mouse into it the mouse's light comes off and on repeatedly but it never ends up working. Here's a picture of my device manager to help illustrate what I mean:

[​IMG]