1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mirror's Edge 2 cancelled

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 Feb 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

No great loss

3. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

4. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I'm gutted, as I was looking forward to the sequel. The first one was a great game, with good graphics.

5. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

My mate (gaming since nes) pirated this (lets not get into all that now) and said it was worth playing but glad he didnt buy it. from that, I picked it up on steam sale. again, i thought it was alright. Really liked how it was different and not copying anything but by end of game was glad they didnt try to get any more gameplay hours out of it.
    If they had a sequel, it'd have to expand / improve gameplay to make it worth picking up.
    I'm dissappointed DICE couldn't take it in a successful direction as we need more variance in types of games.

6. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

Loved the first game to death and I was really, really looking forward to a sequel. :(

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Same here bud.

8. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

A real shame. One of the few games that really captured my attention. Can always live in hope a sequel or spiritual successor comes along eventually.

9. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

I've tried 3 times now, just can't get into the original at all.

10. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

+2 Loved the original, even paid full price for it, no regrets. I'd buy a sequel even if it was just more of the same tbh.

11. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

I purchased the original in the steam sale a while back, wasn't my cup of tea, although i could appreciate the work that went into it and the innovation. Shame that it didn't sell well enough for a sequel.

12. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

I loved Mirror's Edge... until I got to literally the last room and lost interest.

I would have loved to see a sequel.

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

i think it'd have been better if they just made an expansion to the game. making a full-blown new game isn't really necessary - theres not a whole lot you can change about the game. besides, its graphics are still pretty decent even today, and it wouldn't take much to improve them a little bit.

14. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

Can't say I care overly it was nice to see something original and a sequel would have ruined that. We always have the original.

15. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

I know why Mirrors Edge sales were dissapointing: the PC version came out too late and was too expensive for too long. I ended up importing it from the US 'cos it was more than a fiver cheaper including postage than the prices in the UK even 4 months after release!

(disclaimer: "too expensive" for me is >£25 on PC. To give context, Assassins Creed 2 was £24.99 on release on Play.com)

16. Necrow

Necrow Minimodder

This was an amazing game and was totally ground breaking. It created a genre for itself. However I am glad it was canned to leave more of the talented programmers at DICE available to work on BF3 and pathces for BF2 and BF2142.

17. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

On one hand this is a shame because I would have liked to see the story continue and basically have had more of the fantastic original gameplay in a new game, but then Centy makes a good point about keeping an original game... well, original:

An expansion pack would have been a good idea, but clearly it was disappointing enough for EA to drop it pretty much instantly.

I wish EA would ask me to preview some of their games at an early development stage and make big decisions like that. They'd never publish another game again if I had that decision making power. I still cringe every time I think of how bad and buggy some of the earlier BF games were at launch, games that I spent probably hundreds of pounds on over the years which were so buggy and unreliable that I couldn't be bothered playing them much at all.

18. mighty_pirate

mighty_pirate What's a Dremel?

Aw nuts. I really liked the original. I bought it twice!

19. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

they should sell the mirror's edge IP to Valve.
    let pros work on it.
    EA/DICE = amateur hour

20. feathers

feathers Minimodder

To all those people who "didn't like the game" or "couldn't get into it"...

Smelly fart.

I used to sell Fresnel lenses for PC gaming/simulation. I have a spare Fresnel lens and I'd like to try it with Mirror's Edge... Would pull you right into that perilous game world.

EA are mostly retards of course.

Tags: Add Tags