1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Moon Shot

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by lcdguy, 17 Oct 2010.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Sky Watcher now make a complete, all in one auto-guiding unit for £249. I've seen results from it too, and it's quite impressive, but it needs a mount with a RA4 guide port.

The most commonly used guide scope is the ST80, and they're only about £80.

To auto guide however, you need the Synscan GOTO upgrade for the EQ3 as that's the only system for the EQ3 that has a guideport, and that's another £300.

The EQ3 is barely adequate for long tracking though, as the motors are pretty poor, and periodic error will be a problem. It's max load is only 9Kg too, so with a 150P and a ST80 guide scope, it's on the limit. I'd consider a EQ5 as a minimum, but preferably EQ6, because if you're getting into that kind of money, you want some room to develop a little.

So the guiding part can be sorted with a Skywatcher Synguider, and a ST80... around £320. But as the minimum mount requirement would be the EQ3-2 Synscan GOTO (£540) you're still blowing most of your money on the mount, and one barely adequate for the job.

I'd invest in a EQ6 if I was serious about all this.

2. Viskey404

Viskey404 What's a Dremel?

That looks fantastic!