1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Motherboard wont post past VGA after BIOS update

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by AndyGoldie, 1 Mar 2017.

1. AndyGoldie

AndyGoldie 60Hz for Streets, 144Hz for Sheets

Hey guys.

I went on an updating spree on my PC, the final update was the BIOS update which I had never done before but as I have an ASUS H170 with the EZ FLASH 3 utility I wasn't worried about this. I was wrong.

Here's a GIF of the current boot state.

So lets get into the story so far :

1. BIOS had version 0507 (2015)
    2. Downloaded the latest 3016 (2017 with Kaby Lake support) BIOS version from the ASUS website
    3. Cleared USB memory stick to have only the BIOS file on it
    4. Launched into the BIOS and updated via USB with the EZ FLASH 3 utility
    5. Updated successfully, computer rebooted
    6. Message saying BIOS is updating further, do not turn off. Did not turn off
    7. Process finished and rebooted automatically
    8. No splash screen, BIOS lights not going past the DRAM LED

And the fixes attempted so far :

• CMOS Reset, power lead unplugged and short the CMOS_CLR pins
    • CMOS Reset, power lead unplugged and battery removed for 20 minutes
    • CMOS Reset, power lead unplugged and battery removed for 20 minutes AND CMOS_CLR pins shorted

All above has also been done with and without the GTX 1070 installed, attempting to run from both onboard and GPU graphics, with 3 different monitors, and 3 different connection types (DisplayPort, HDMI & DVI)

I have spoken to Scan who I got the PC from (with a 3 year warranty) about the issue and informed them about this process and they informed me the warranty is now void on the motherboard as BIOS updates void it...

They simply advised me to reset the CMOS which you can see I've done entirely.

And just to make things clearer, this is what the boot process looks like when starting it up. The BIOS lights at the top right go CPU, DRAM, VGA, BOOT as usual.

Also worth mentioning I've moved the RAM to every slot, one stick, two stick - doesn't matter.
    I also removed the RAM just to make sure the lights weren't acting up and it does stay solid on the DRAM when no RAM is inserted.

Please god help me - just moved into a new house so I really can't afford a new mobo at this point.

Code:
    Computer Specs :
    i5 6600 s1151 3.3Ghz
    Corsair 550W VS
    2x4GB Corsair VENG LPX DDR4-2133
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8GB
    Win10 Home
    250GB 850 EVO
    ASUS H170 PRO Gaming

2. davvy76

davvy76 Minimodder

AndyGoldie likes this.
  3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Have you tried recovering via the crashfree updater?

Either stick the DVD that came with the MoBo in a drive or rename the BIOS file that's on the USB stick to H170PG.CAP, it should then read the file and automatically start EZ Flash.

4. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Also, try removing a stick of memory and clear CMOS. It's very unlikely to be broken from the update, but it's possibly nonetheless.

5. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Updating a BIOS invalidates warranty! :eyebrow: That's terrible.

EDIT: RMA direct with ASUS?

6. AndyGoldie

Thanks for the help so far guys, going to try all this in a few hours time and report back.

Fingers crossed it will be as easy as getting into the recovery.

While searching I saw someone on Reddit claiming to never update their BIOS... I understood this to be a thing a few years ago but not now with how easy the process is. Whats the deal with this general belief, surely if a manufacturer creates an update it 'should' be safe to do so..?

7. TheMadDutchDude

People who never update their BIOS are people living under a rock. I've never had a failed flash in all my years of building PCs. Besides that, the recovery system is very good now.

As mentioned above as well, you can get a new BIOS chip from eBay for about 10 quid or so. I've used a guy from Holland too and the service was great. I'd recommend trying that if all else fails.

It absolutely should not invalidate your warranty, though. That's ridiculous...

8. AndyGoldie

No luck guys. Tried every single port with two different USB's with the same BIOS file, it just won't boot into anything...

I've went ahead and ordered a BIOS chip from the Netherlands seller.

Unfortunately my PC does not have a disc drive so using the motherboard DVD is out of the window!

If anyone has any other ideas on how to get this working I'd appriciate it.

Also, just so I know what to prepare for - is the change in BIOS chip going to affect anything? (e.g. Windows 10 losing it's license because a component has changed, such as same effect as changing entire mobo?)

Cheers

9. TheMadDutchDude

It won't affect your license or anything like that. Make absolutely sure you install it in the correct orientation, or you'll fry the chip instantly. You've been warned. :)

I'll do some sniffing later, unless you do it now...

Is there a BIOS switch on the back of the motherboard? It's aptly named - flashback. Look on the Asus website and let me know. :)

10. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

I use scan quite a bit, always had reasonable support from them but that response is BS.

11. AndyGoldie

UPDATE : New BIOS chip didn't work...

When I put it in it was lookin promising but then didn't post past CPU. I think it's because the latest BIOS update for the H170 PRO GAMING supports Kaby Lake and may actually be an update for Kaby Lake processors only! Despite the website saying it just makes it 'support it'.

I guess my mistake was trying to get the latest BIOS on it, I'm going to reorder another chip with the Netherlands company (which came very quickly!) with the v 0507 BIOS installed instead.

If anyone has any ideas why this new chip which has a working BIOS on it won't post past CPU please let me know.

12. TheMadDutchDude

It should still support the older CPUs. They never remove microcode support as far as I am aware. Unless, of course, it's bugged.

I think something else may be wrong here, but it's hard to say without changing things over.

13. AndyGoldie

Issue solved!

Turns out the 3016 BIOS doesn't agree with the mobo at all. It seems to try and force it into reading the CPU as Kaby Lake instead of ALSO supporting Kaby Lake.

I got a second BIOS chip from the guys in the Netherlands (free of charge! Emailed saying the first one didn't work and I'd pay them directly for a second, then they just sent another!) with the original 0507 BIOS and it worked straight away.

Massive thanks to davvy76 for linking me to them, solved my issues.

Don't think I'll be updating the BIOS in this particular PC.. ever..