1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MSI MS-6309 v1.0 problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dead_man, 15 Jun 2005.

1. dead_man

dead_man Confucious say: WTF???

i recently bought this board on another forum and got it delivered no issue. was happy with what i have bought and very pleased that it arived quickly. except for one thing. it wont POST

i get the mobo gfx card and CPU. plug it into a powersupply turn it on and the 4 red LED's come on showing power but that is as far as it gets. iv tried a different graphics card to no avail.

tried to reset CMOS and nothing :S

can anyone suggest anything?

2. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Boards usually boot up in the cycle CMOS -> CPU -> RAM -> GPU -> on (with other stuff in between, but you get the picture). If it's not even getting as far as CPU OK, then your options are PSU, board or CPU that you need to swap out/test for a diagnosis. Any beeps?

3. dead_man

no no beeps. have tried 2x different CPU's (one of which came with it) 2x sticks of ram (64mb and 128mb) and 2x VGA card (TNT2 and Kyro2) none of which affects it. will try a new PSU tomorrow :)

4. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

If its still turning on, I think its fairly safe to say your motherboard has crapped out.

5. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:confused: That mobo is about 5 years old and may simply be incompatible with some of the CPUs which physically fit the socket. Check MSI's website for compatibility info and the latest BIOS (inc fixes) too. Chances are it may only support the Coppermine rather than the newer and cooler running Tualatin, the older core type was Katmai for reference. In terms of PIII Katmai had 512K half-speed cache, Coppermine had 256K full-speed cache and Tualatin had 512K full-speed cache. IIRC the Celeron derivitives ahd half the cache of the PIII they are based off (eg. Tualatin Celeron had 256K full-speed cache so are effectively a slightly enhanced Coppermine PIII). From memory the Coppermine had an exposed core while the Tualatin had a heatspreader ... so be sure you try both types of CPU in there.

6. dead_man

well both the CPU's aer coppermine and the one it came with doesnt even work with it. though the guy said it did