1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding My take on the "cordless" desk

Discussion in 'Modding' started by bard, 28 Nov 2008.

1. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

I've seen a few threads here before on how to clean up that tangle of wires that most of us have on and under our desks. So - instead of doing the work I was supposed to do today, I went about trying to make that tangle invisible.

My desk is a standard Ikea frame with a birch veneer plate (120x80 cm). Doing alot of furniture building myself, it's a little embarrassing having an Ikea desk - but at least now I have modded it.

By the way, excuse the picture quality. They are taken with my SE k800i.

I started by making an aluminium structure that could be screwed as a shelf underneath the desk. I bent one of the sides, mainly to make the structure rigid, but this also hides the wires on the shelf. Made the alu box of some scrap metal I found, so no pictures of the fabrication there.
    [​IMG]

Used a spade drill bit to make holes for wires. Laptop goes in the middle.
    [​IMG]

Those gray tubes there are Ikea wire collectors. I stapled those to the underside as cable guides to the holes on the sides.
    [​IMG]

Raised the desk back up
    [​IMG]

The holes are perfect for threading the ikea plastic tubes through.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The hole for the wires to the laptop itself is placed a bit in on the desk (not out at the edge like the other holes)
    [​IMG]

So as you can see - only one wire (electricity) going from the wall to the desk. (ok, you have probably noticed the cat5 cable too there...)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

Vakkert!

It's beautiful. personally I could do without the tubing on the power-cable and the bit sticking up at the HDD, but that's just me :) good job!