need a new power supply

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Toka, 17 Mar 2008.

1. Toka

Toka Minimodder

Ooo - should I flag this hardware or question? Its a hardware question!

Hey hey guys, was wondering if someone could offer some advice. Atm Im using an enermax galaxy 850W psu to make my computer work.

I have had no issues with stability (e6700 @ 3.3ghz, 2g ram @ 2.1v, couple hard drives, 8800gtx, 680i...) but the thing is about as loud as my sisters hair dryer! Also it is too long, I want to make room for a 240mm radiator at the top of the case.

Could someone provide some info / insight onto a QUIET 700 - 1000w power supply please? It needs to be a regular size to help with my noob radiator placement, and ofc I like modular things.

As far as future proofing goes Im sure Ill make the swap to vista at some point (at about the same time as I stop playing EQ2), and Id prolly upgrade to 4 or 8gb of ram at this point. Also Ill probably make a cpu change in september if required, to make sure I can play Spore with decent graphics settings.

Other than that the system will remain much as it is, no real henious power requirements, I just would like to be using a small modular quiet one :)

2. Matticus

Matticus ...

Antec qauttros are good.

You can get 850 and 1000 watt models

Modular too.

I think they are a standard sort of size

3. WARHAMSTER

WARHAMSTER What's a Dremel?

I've got a Corsair TX650W psu and I have no complaints. (apart from it not being modular) See the link below

http://www.corsair.com/products/power_supplies.aspx

Maybe the TX750W is worth a look as it's standard size. However the Antec 850 is supposed to be very good. http://www.custompc.co.uk/reviews/125913/antec-quattro-850.html

I'm surprised that you find that ur Enermax is loud, not that I've ever used one but they have such a good reputation as good alrounders afaik. Maybe it's faulty, does the fan run full on all the time? In any case it's cheaper to replace a PSU that get it repaired even if it is faulty.

4. Toka

Toka Minimodder

Yeah Im not sure why its noisy, the fan tone is smooth and there is no undue vibration hinting at a worn bearing or anything, think i might try running it out of the case to see if there is some wierd airflow issue causing the roar. The only thing I can think is that they were some of the first high power PSUs to appear, and as such they sacrifice a little quietness to provide adequate cooling.

Oh, and thanks for the cpc link, id completely forgotten to check there for reviews!

5. WARHAMSTER

WARHAMSTER What's a Dremel?

6. Elv13

Elv13 What's a Dremel?

7. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

What a terrible review. "Let's plug it into a system and if the voltages measure properly with software, looks good, and doesn't blow up, perfect score"