1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia to license graphics technology to other companies

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 19 Jun 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. miller

miller What's a Dremel?

HA, HA, Now they can also experience the wonders of Nvidia drivers, Your Apple/Samsung phone/tablet etc, has crashed because "Nvidia driver has stopped responding and might recover if it feels like it" :clap:

3. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

nvlddmkm.sys...

4. _crazy_crazy_

_crazy_crazy_ mi mum say's that i'm special

lool a few years ago ati had the same problem with vpu recovery error lol

5. miller

miller What's a Dremel?

Did ATI fix it or AMD when they bought ATI?

This issue has been happening with Nvidia cards/drivers for a long time and never really been sorted which is why I used it as an example.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

Sounds to me like tegra4 has struggled for market adoption so they are going to try and licence it to the big 2 in smartphone / tablet.

Samsung though could surely have tegra4 if they wanted it as after all they are an andriod oem. Apple this route might work for enough its still prob cheaper to buy out AMD than pay nvidia.

7. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

exactly my thoughts, tegra hasn't really bought alot of people, "might" be a salvation for tegra if it proves feasible for other companies. (as SOC from samsung and apple have proven to be competitive as it is)

8. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

What this might do though is leverage and split the marketplace between the Adreno (Qualcomm) products and tegra.

Half the reason why Tegra isn't popular is the fact that the only large name phone is the One X, which also has an S4 version.

Fascinatingly, Tegra 3 isn't bad at all. It's actually surprisingly fast, but the uptake by OEMs has been rather small. Which leads me to believe that either there is a mysterious shortage or that Qualcomm is offering much better prices (and admittedly more rapid updates especially on the modem side) that's making the Krait/S4 + Adreno package much more attractive.

In other words, the reason they're licensing this is that they are doing badly. The sales haven't picked up and that's partially due to the reason that Tegra 3 and 4's release schedule is so far apart while the Snapdragon stuff releases almost semi-anually. That's my guess anyhow.

9. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Wait that's what they did with Intel and then Intel turned around and slapped them hard saying they are no longer allowed to make Motherboards and intel produced thier first iGP.....

Tags: Add Tags