1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips Photobooth Awesomeness

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Bogomip, 5 Nov 2017.

1. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Dear all,

I am getting married next year and I am in charge of the Photo booth. Not wanting to pay stupid amounts of money for a short time lease photo booth I am creating my own. Lots of it I have sorted, and what I want is that we have our camera setup at the correct position, lighting set up, a cable runs from the camera to the people and to take the photo they just click. Easy!

What I know so far...

- I will use my own DSLR camera (which is good enough for this task).
    - I intend to use a Wifi enabled flash card to connect to a smartphone/tablet, where the photos are sent and then can be selected.
    - Lighting - I will build something with lightbulbs and wood. Easy.

Things I need help with :)

- Does anybody have experience of wifi enabled flash cards? Which are the good ones? What should I avoid? Imagine cash isn't a huge issue :)
    - does anybody know of a cheapish way to continue powering the camera for many hours? Power adaptors appear quite expensive solutions...
    - Im not sure about this, but I was considering a green screen... does anybody know how this could be incorporated into a system like this? Or an overlay?

Thanks so much for any help :)

Bogo

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

We had a self setup photobooth at our wedding (great idea btw and lots of fun) and yours sounds like it's going to be a lot more complicated than ours was.

Not the most helpful I know but I'm going to ask some questions rather than answering yours:

Why are you connecting your DSLR to a smartphone / tablet?
    Why do the photos need to be 'selected'?
    Why not just use a flash rather than a lighting rig?
    Will the camera battery not last the night? Our camera at the time (a bridge camera) more than lasted the evening.

GK

3. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Hi GeorgeK

1. Because I didn't really think of tethering it via USB as I haven't done it before and didn't know how it worked, however I have since learned that via the EOS utility files can be automatically downloaded to a computer. So might do that, but do like the idea of a wifi card...
    2. Because people might take several before they get one they like.
    3. Big space, crappy flash.
    4. Nope, thats why I want a power adaptor :)

Thanks!

4. GeorgeK

Fair enough. At ours we just made an instructions sign and people looked at the photos on the LCD screen on the camera - that way we had no need for anything other than the camera and the tripod. As for the battery - I thought that most DSLR batteries were rated for like ~1000 shots - is there something wrong with yours? If it really won't last the night wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a spare battery, charge it up before the night and then swap it halfway through?

5. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Im not sure if that would be cheaper, its partly why I am asking if anybody know of how we can plug it in cheaply :)

Our wedding is 10 hours, so the camera will be set up for like 12-13, and we don't want to be worrying about camera batteries or anything like that if we can help it.

Last edited: 8 Nov 2017
  6. GeorgeK

Fair enough. I've not heard of ways to plug cameras into the mains. Just thinking out loud here - what about a camera grip with extra batteries in?

Edit: Well I'll be damned - power adapters do exist! Grips aren't much cheaper but it would appear that places (like mpb or wex) at least have stock of 2nd hand grips which you could then sell on afterwards to recoup the cost? I suppose the same goes for power adapters - perhaps flog it afterwards and put the money towards the honeymoon? :p

7. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

I might of glazed over this but whats the model of your camera?