1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Extreme make-over

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by sk8phreak88, 9 Mar 2005.

1. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

Hey guys, I've been moddin for quite some time now, but only on xbox's and xbox cases. I've always wanted to do a pc mod and now I have a spare case, mobo and drives just need a cpu, and RAM. I finally got arround to doing some VERY rough cuts done on it.
    Here are the pics:
    [​IMG]
    The front, I cut out the old slots they had for an intake and now I'm stuck between doing a flush mounted grill infront of it or doing a nice smooth hole with a grill over it... Any Ideas?
    [​IMG]
    I did A HUGE window on the side, I'm thinking of etching something into it but I'm not quite sure that I want, if I don't etch anything in I might put a fan in the top left corner and one it the bottom right but I'm not sure yet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I made the window on the top so I could do A blow hole, window mod on the PSU, and a dvd drive window mod. After its all finished I'm going to paint it with some automotive paint, probably a silver basecoat, black over that, and then a blue marblelizer to give it a kick ass look but I'm not sure yet. It's not gonna be a nicely set up comp, just a compaq mobo with a 2200+, 256 ram 10 gig hdd and such, but it will be good enough for my spare comp for my friends when they are over!
    Thats all for now guys, I'll get you more pics as I Work on it tomorrow hopefuly. What do you guys think so far as its in the VERY rough stage of progress?

2. KidModder

KidModder What's a Dremel?

File those edges. It would look kewl if the front fan was a led, uv reactive, or had a ccfl on it. But nice mod. Love how you are modding a stock case.

3. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

LOL

Yeah, I'm gonna work on the edges but not all too much, I'm going to use some window molding to make it look more professional, also its going to be a clear, blue LED fan in the front.

4. KidModder

Re do the front panel and buttons. AHHH the buttons(All our school computers are the model up of the computer) :eeek: :eeek: :eeek:

5. douphus

douphus What's a Dremel?

yea i prefer windows with no moulding, i think moulding looks ugly. I agree you should redo the whole front panel. Look at mnpctech's site (www.mnpctech.com) I believe he had a tutorial on how to bondo up a front panel and rejuvinate it.

6. Phaeton

Phaeton What's a Dremel?

there is an anodizing painting technique that you can use on the plastic panel on the front. It would look good with a paint job like the one you were talking about. I'm sure there are guides on the internet on how to use it, but there was also one in the March issue of Maximum PC

7. tsa cain

tsa cain What's a Dremel?

you should paint those green drive holder things (couldnt think of a better name) with the blue marbelizer also cuz they are ugly green. But nice start.

8. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

I'm going to paint the molding the same color so it doesn't stand out as much, I did some sanding on the case and I'll get pics up later. Thakns guys

9. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

Update: Side Sanded.

Hey guys, got some work done on it,and I finally got my window molding although I orderd like a foot and a half to less. :sigh: ...It was ALOT to sand, I need to find a sander or a D.A. sander for my aircompressor... It's payday tomorrow from one job and friday is payday from my other so I'm gonna have some cash to spend, not sure what on but I'm sure some nice new tools or pc parts. :hip:
    Anyways here are the pics, I think it looks really nice, might end up just sanding it all and then polishing it really nice, otherwise I have this "anodized blue color effect" paint that I might use instead of the marbilizer... Not sure though.
    [​IMG]
    And its really blurry, but if you can see it at all theres a spot that I went a bit far with the dremel, gotta clean it up as best I can.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 17 Mar 2005
  10. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

:waah: No one thinks its lookin better yet? :waah: Payday!!!! Back from work/school in 8 hours then im off to homedepot to buy:
    5" Random Obit sander (Gelflex handle one :hip: )
    Heatshrink
    18x24 Sheet of plexi
    possibly a dremel flex shaft.
    and some hinges and a handle for a new Idea I have. :hip:

11. Mayo

Mayo What's a Dremel?

i think it is!!! :)

waiting for more pics!!!

12. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

Yay :rock: LOL got one guy to give me some confidence... I'm off to get my new tools and parts now!! :hip:
    I'll get some pics up later.

13. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

So after 100 bucks at homedepot, 5 bucks in gas and an hour in the store I came home with these!
    [​IMG]
    Now I'm gonna go work I'll post some pics later tonight guys!

14. KidModder

Ya I am waiting to see this mod when its done. :waah: :waah: If only I had a job.

15. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

Update!

Okay, WOW I'm soo sooo glad I purchased that orbit sander!! It's soo nice and comfy...Oh and itgets the job done HELLA FAST :rock:
    I got more sanded since my last post then I did in 3 hours on that side panel!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What do you guys think Now? :hip:
    Now to design the new feature of the window sided panel...Hint(Easy access it swings and locks :dremel: )

16. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

Are those dents in that top panel or what. Just curious.

oh YEA im going to do the same thing with hinges and locks but the case im going to do it on is wood.

Anyways nice job. Im glad someone finally decided to hack apart a compag case i hate them so much.

17. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

Unfortanately, yes they are dents, I' trying to figure out how to get rid of them with out taking out all of the rivets to fix it up.

18. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

I might suggest bondo. Yes it is not the best fix in the world but i think it would be your best bet. Just fill the spots with bondo and bam with a bit of paint youll never see those again.

19. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

I was also thinking bondo, but now I'm thinking about sanding them out, and polishing the case as it is going upstairs in the living room and will be seen by all, I might paint it later but for now, I'm just gonna do it like this I think. Not totaly sure though.

UPDATE:
    [​IMG]
    Just a piece of plexi for the blow window/hole right?... Nothing special....?
    [​IMG]
    Or not? :hip: It's hard to get a pic of but I'll try to get some ones my batts recharge.

20. omicron

omicron Baud.

All I see are red x's :/

Edit: False alarm on the red x's, Im stuck on AOhelL out here, so thats probably why :/. Looking good so far :thumb: keep it up

(250th post!... I'm a supermodder? o_O).