1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project PC2 ft Dragon Etch - updated 08 May 03 custom fan grill mod

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Zoon, 8 Apr 2003.

1. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Lo ppls long time since I posted here, but I know there are several of you that should know meh !

Anyways been working on this for about a year. No its not taken me that long, its just I am lazy.

Last April time I cut the window and perspex and three weeks ago I actually did the etch.

Anyway here's the finished pic (clickable to 1000x667 version)

[​IMG]

And the rest of the pics are here http://www.hex-tech.co.uk/lianlipc2.asp?request=dragonetch1

Whaddya think so far ? :)

I am gonna have a red LED lit dragon, and a blue case behind :)

Last edited: 8 May 2003
  2. kong

kong cnc-guy

:jawdrop:
    Drawn and etched by hand?! Outstanding work!

3. Zoon

Oh arse I knew I forgot one thing ... I didn't do the whole picture by myself :blah: The big dragon was cut off at the wing ... which I printed out and completed myself so the wing is my own work :rolleyes: The rest was on the original.

I then used the tools show in the first picture on my website from the dremel box and etched it by hand. Took 2 or 3 hours + various stops for those pictures :) I used an automatic lead pencil with the lead retracted for the claws to give a jagged look, lotsa small sharp lines, and a dremel carving tool for the rest.

4. daydreamingknight

daydreamingknight What's a Dremel?

Simply amazing ...

Excellent job!

DDK

5. Zoon

I used to love the technical process of creating in Art, but I was never great at the creative part. Gimme a design and I'll happily build it !

I just need me some chrome window edging now to go over the dodgy edge around the window.

I also wanna give it another coat of spray paint and several of lacquer. In a year its got a bit scratched and dull. I wanna break out some Turtle Wax and shiney it all up :D

6. Zoon

My next project is going to be to build / buy flat pack strong and taller shelving so I can have both my PC's on at once. I don't actually have a use for having two PC's at any one time tho :D So a bit pointless. I just want to put it on my desk with all its lovely lights on. I will just unhook the hard drive or just bypass the motherboard with a second hidden switch that will power on my lights only :) I don't have anywhere to stand it and it just be running right now. My existing shelfspace is a rickety £10 argos crappy thing that I have modded a couple times already to give appropriate shelf heights. Its taken up with a ton of videos that I don't even watch. I reckon I need to grab some video tape storage or something from Ikea and put them on my wall in various places (and then backlight these with a few cathodes :D).

Total room mod anyone ? Yeah been done before I know :D

7. KMS-oul

KMS-oul You think you know me.

Man that etch is amazing almost looks like its done by lazer or something. Well done mate.:clap:

8. Zoon

Thanks !

I wish I did have a lazer for it really. I'd love to be able to vary the depths more accurately and give it a real sense of texture. I may spend some time doing some dragon scales eventually; I think the style of the tail kinda blocks that possibility though.

Still my PC70 has a huge window. That one gets the custom treatment next :D

9. Zoon

Okay I've just modded a second back exhaust blowhole :)

http://www.hex-tech.co.uk/projects.asp?request=pc2bhmod has the full shufty !

I wanted to do the same cpu grill as was currently there unfortunately I don't have the right tools for the job, and there's just a fan grill sticking off the back :)

Here's what it looks like (larger picture on the website above)

[​IMG]

10. Lithium

Lithium super spunk

Very nice etching dude :rock: Good work on the back exhaust too. Ya gotta do the same to one one above though:thumb:

11. Zoon

Yeah they do need to match.

I don't really want to use a Tt fan grill tho. I'll keep my eyes open for what I can see.

Maybe buy a dead cheap PC7 and un rivet the back and transplant it or something.

I really want two grills just like the one on the back of the case so it'll stay like that for now and I will keep meh eyes out !!

12. Zoon

Right.

I want to replace both the back panel and the front panel with an almost identical panel, with a couple of differences.

I'll need some alu and access to someone with a laser cutter.

Does anyone know of anyone UK that could do this for something that is not a silly price ?

13. Zoon

Okay I found somewhere, hopefully they reply with a quote before too long and I have a new back panel with two sexy cut grills in the back :D

Next up is to use the grill I ripped out of an old microwave in place of the dodgy air vents on the front of the case, and put some blue in the bezel, prolly with two blue cathodes :D

14. Zoon

Okay ... it started with a microwave door ... it ends with a grill that hopefully looks pretty good, and will be even better once it gets a bl00 cathode down its neck !!

Start :

[​IMG]

End :

[​IMG]

Full story :

http://www.hex-tech.co.uk/lianlipc2.asp?request=pc2grill

Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it :D :dremel:

15. Zoon

Oh and in case you were wondering, no animals were harmed during the making of this article (because the hutch is empty !)

16. bilnv

bilnv What's a Dremel?

Hey Zoon it looks great. :thumb: I like the way it matches the case too. How did you think of useing a microwave door?

17. Zoon

Flash of inspiration I guess !!

I'm planning on respraying the case a good bright silver soon, so the grill will then be a nice contrasting colour.