Networks Recommended router/modem set up for website filtering

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DeX, 19 Feb 2014.

1. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

I will be moving into my own place soon (yay) and am probably going to end up with BT fibre which comes with a BT homehub 5. My requirement is basically to set up rules to limit the time allowed on certain sites (i.e. reddit) in order to try to get my internet addiction under control. I have just a couple of questions:

1. Is it possible to set up filtering rules on the homehub 5 (and if so, to set them for particular times of the day or similar?)
    2. If the homehub won't do this out of the box, what options do I have with regards to flashing a custom firmware, or buying a separate wifi router to pass data to/from the BT modem?

Any advice would be great.

2. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

My Netgear DGND3700v2 has scheduling and site blocking and you can combine the two - so you put reddit as a blocked site, then select 'as per schedule' and then set the schedule times you're allowed access to reddit.

I'm sure other routers will have this function too, but I know for sure mine has. I'm also on BT connection and this router takes ADSL and Fibre input so it will work whatever connection you have now or in the future. This router will replace your HH5 too by the way, no need to run both.

Thinking about it.. I should really use this feature to curb the Missus facebook addiction...