1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Replacing HP Microserver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flame696, 9 Nov 2019.

1. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

Wow it's been a very long time since I posted but here goes

I've got an old HP Microserver N54L which I'm using as a storage and plex media server. The issue I have is that it struggle with transcoding some films when I'm using my Amazon fire tv. Plex always comes up with 'your server isn't powerful enough to transcode this movie' or something to that effect.

What should I do? Should i buy/build a new server??? Or should I buy an Intel NUC and use the HP as storage?

2. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

You could upgrade your Microserver with a better CPU, I have 2 Gen8's one with a Xeon which runs as a Hypervisor with 4 VMs including a dedicated Plex VM and the other has an i3 which is used as an Unraid storage device.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Not the N54L, you can't: it's an AMD Turion CPU, soldered to the motherboard.

4. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

Well that sucks.

5. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Can't you just disable transcoding? I personally use KODI (on an android tv box) connected to a SMB share and it works great. The initial setup is a bit of a pain, but its rock solid once you get it going.

6. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

If you have Plex Pass and install an Nvidia GPU you can push hardware transcoding into the GPU. You could get a little NUC and have that run Plex, using the micro server as a NAS.