1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Repost: Remote Access using Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wehopeuchoke, 19 Apr 2006.

1. wehopeuchoke

wehopeuchoke What's a Dremel?

Whoops, posted this earlier in the wrong section, any help is appreciated.

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone could help. I have recently set-up a windows 2003 server and would like to be able to remotely access it from my power book. I have installed remote desktop connection for Mac from MS which works great when accessing from home, but i would like to be able to get at my files while I'm out and about.

My network is connected to the internet via a Zoom X5 router/modem on a dynamic IP address, so I have registered with dyndns, and configured a second Netgear router I use as a wireless access point to automatically update the dyndns server as and when my IP changes. This works fine but brings up my router configuration screen when I connect to the IP, how do I get incomming requests to point at the server? In addition I would like to avoid a ready made software solution as 1, I would like to get into the 'nitty-gritty' of configuring the connection for academic purposes and 2, I would like it set so the server is in stand-by mode and only wakes up when a connection is made. I have considered just doing away with the router and having the server access the internet direct through an ethernet adsl modem. But dont really want the server on wasnt on 24/7.

Hope someone can help and that all makes sense.

Cheers.

Edit: Tried opening necessary ports on my router (3389) still no access to the server :(

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

To get the connection to the server, you need to forward the port in your router to the IP adress of the server. I don't know the netgear, but on mu Dlink it's called Virtual Server.

3. wehopeuchoke

Cheers, tried that by opening port 3389 and directing it to the server's IP. Still no work even tho everything seems right on the surface :wallbash:

4. Glider

Glider /dev/null

If your server has a software firewall on it, you might try opening the port there too.

5. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Can you explain a little more the setup of the two routers? I'm a little confused. Diagram maybe? :)

6. wehopeuchoke

The netgear router is set up soley as an access point for my wireless devices, NAT and DCHP have been turned off on it. It only serves as an access point and dnydns updater. The Server and other wired hardware connects straight into the Zoom X5.

I have disabled windows firewall for ease of set up *he says* so should think it would be able to connect straight to the port, right :sigh:

Edit: Damned PC I Was using as a server died this morning :blah:

Last edited: 20 Apr 2006
  7. wehopeuchoke

Took the old piece of junk back and got 3.0ghz P4 Gig Ram 200 gig PC for £160, I like my job. Repaired the server install, and now everything works fine :confused: remote access from PC, Mac aaaaaaand Windows Mobile :D time to get me some decent security :worried:

Anyone got any recomendations for good server protection?

8. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Install OpenSSH and only allow SSH connections ;)

9. Chrisy

Chrisy What's a Dremel?

If your running server 2003 you may want to look at bitvise SSH server rather than running, the admitidly free, OpenSSH with cygwin. It is quite cheap for personal use and it doubled my transfer speeds when compaired to the openssh/cygwin combo. I also found the permisions didn't cause as many problems but that was probably just me.

That is of course if you have fast upload. Otherwise free is good.

I have bidirectional 100Mbit so I notice. (uni before people ask)

Chris

Tags: