1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling So My H50 Leaked

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Pookie, 9 Feb 2013.

1. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Luckily for me I decided to give the PC a quick blow out (turned out it wasnt that dusty) and i notied a milky residue on the motherboard and around the first pci-e slot. It was all dry but i could clearly see it was from the H50. Probably mere days or hours from going bang!!

Anyway excluding liquid coolers, whats the best Air cooler for LGA1366???

2. tripwired

tripwired Deploying Surprise in 3... 2...1...

Ouch, lucky you caught it in time! I've got a H50 and it's been rock solid over the last couple of years.

I think the Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 is probably your best bet for air cooling, although it's expensive at £60ish.

BloodlessDawn and Pookie like this.
  3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Complain to the original retailer and/or Corsair!

Pookie likes this.
  4. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

I saw a few issues with the H50 back when it started and Corsair seemed pretty quick to replace them for people, seeing as it is out of production I suspect they would upgrade it.

May as well try and get something out of it, flog it and get cash to cover a new air cooler as I am certain you won't go back to water after this :)

5. Pookie

I have gone through thr RMA process on their website this evening but no response yet. Whats the safest way to remove the residue on the board? Or as its dry shall i just leave it alone? I was looking at the arctic cooling kit as its a bit mor within my current budget, they seem pretty good?

6. Pookie

Not sure if i could sleep at night selling someone a leaky H50 lol, ill be avoiding you in the market place :D

7. mpe91

mpe91 Wait... Wha...?

I think he was suggesting that you sell the replacement/upgrade if you RMA'd it not the leaky one.

At least I hope so... :p

I think something like rubbing alcohol would be safe to use (same stuff you clean a cpu with)

Pookie likes this.
  8. Pookie

Well a quick update, I cleaned the residue off the board using Arctic Clean Thermal Surface Purifier and it came off easily thankfully. But I had to remove the GFX card to get to the last part, and to my horror the inside of the PCI-E slot is also furred up with the coolant!!!!!:wallbash:

Anyway it was all dry and I gave the slot a blast with some compressed air and it seemed to clear most of it out. I have also managed to find my stock Intel cooler from the loft. After cleaning off the Intel paste and applying some arctic silver 5 I fired up the old girl and here I am posting this.

I must say I forgot how rubbish Intel coolers are, Im idling @56c here :jawdrop:. (probably should lower my overclock lol) but she lives to fight another day. Im going to order one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0047V8E...de=asn&creative=22242&creativeASIN=B0047V8E1K .

9. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Haha, just re-read what I typed and it does sound dodgy as hell :)

They may give you an H80 or similar which you could get £££ for.

I have one, its ok, little noisy for my tastes and I can't get a decent over clock. But for a low overclock on a Sandy Bridge system it is fine, not sure how well it will cope with a 1366 though.

Pookie likes this.
  10. Pookie

Dont worry Tarka we know what you meant :hehe: Still no response from corsair but I just spent 30 minutes playing COH and the temps maxed @70c but atleast I know my system is stable *Phew*. Problem is 1366 is pretty old now so new coolers are not tested on it so its hard to tell what to get. I will only overclock to 3.6 or 3.8 anyway which is plenty for gaming and should be easy enough to tame.

11. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Flux/PCB cleaner Don't waste Arcticlean on it.

Pookie likes this.
  12. Pookie

So I finally got a replacement unit. The guy's at Corsair sorted me out with a brand new H60....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (I'm using my SP120's in push pull)

If you look closely you can see a small white dollop of hardend coolant from the H50 on the X58 heatsink. Corsair sent a claims form for any damages caused to my system but thankfully I didnt need to go down that route. The customer service could not be better, the communication was superb and all emails were responded to quickly and generally the whole process was painless. Corsair have gained a loyal customer here :D

Thanks to all your help guy's and +rep on it's way :rock:

13. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Corsairs RMA is SUPERB.

Those new fans look well smart tbh

14. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Not bad looking at all. Corsair are not bad at rma's second to Logitech

15. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Are you still looking for a cooler . I had my i7 940 @ 4.4 on a titan and it peaked at 73 degrees. I'm not sure if i still have it but if I can find it its yours for the price of postage. its not like I'm ever going to use it again.

edit: Just looked back and seen you already have the H60. I was looking at the thread on my phone and missed most of it...Oops

Last edited: 25 Feb 2013
  16. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

I thought they would do that for you :)

Couldn't be better, lets be honest!

17. Pookie

The H60 is a different kettle of fish compared to the H50. The build quality is miles better and the mounting system is far less fiddly. The H50 feels very plasticy compared to the all metal housing of pump/resovour on the H60. The tubing feels like its bullet proof but yet is easy to flex into position. I cant vouch for 1155/56 temps but 1366 temps are pretty sweet (to be fair im using 2x SP120 push pull). This cooler is well worth a look :)

18. BloodlessDawn

BloodlessDawn I know nothing.

I'll second this. Got a 2600K i7 running at around 25 degrees celcius with this cooler... up to 31 on full load...

19. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

I also use this on my i5 2500k, extremely efficient cooler, would recommend, mind you it only JUST fits in my silverstone TJ08-E with about 2mm to spare (as well as blocking most of the hdd bays), its huge!