1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Tempted by an XPro1

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by gcwebbyuk, 30 Aug 2013.

1. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I currently have two cameras - Sony A77 and an RX100.

I bought the RX100 as a travel/street shooter but really haven't used it as much as I thought - it is currently advertised for sale.

I am tempted to sell the A77 and my selection of lenses, and buy an XPro1 and associated lenses and equipment.

I have a neck injury so weight is a bit of an issue, so something smaller and lighter would be good. I have tried a Panny GF3 before with the 20mm f/1.7 - loved the lens, didn't love the lack of a viewfinder, which is probably the reason I didn't gel with the RX100.

Does anyone have any experience with the XPro1? I have tried one briefly in a camera shop - but it wasn't enough of a test to make my mind up.

I also tried the OMD which seemed pretty good, and have been looking at the reviews of the Panny GX7.

Any thoughts? :hip:

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I've used the X100s. It's a great camera, but the AF isn't brilliant, and takes an age to start up. If it shares that with it's big brother, you may want to consider how much that will annoy you... so I'd research if that's the case. If everything else about the X1Pro is as good as the X100s... and a slow boot up isn't an issue... then go for it.... it will be excellent.

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I have the X100 (non-S), brilliant camera, AF is slower than DSLR but not slower than most point-shoot. Considering its sensor size compared to P&S, it's not bad.

The taking ages to start up is a bug with firmware, if you format the card in-camera, or guarantee there are no foreign files when you plug it back in, it will start up within a second every time.

Be aware that the OVF on x-pro1 will only work at 18mm and 60mm. There is an optical zoom in it, when you change the lens, the optical zoom slides into place. Other focal length will just get you a smaller frame line. If you use a zoom lens, I think the EVF pops up. So if you are fine with the EVF, might as well buy the X-E1.

What I'd do in your position, and what I've done, is found out 35mm is my favourite focal length by only using 35mm f2 on my 5D for a week. So bought X100 to carry with me all the time, but kept the DSLR for specific uses like UWA with 17-40, video with 24-105 IS, airshows with 70-300, or shallow DoF with 85mm f1.8.

4. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Thanks for the info.

I am now also tempted by the new Olympus OM-D EM-1 or the GX7....

Temptations!

5. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

I will own a X100s one day. I'm obsessed with that camera and that hasn't happened in a long time. I thought I had grown immune to gear lust.