1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Upgrade from Q6600 to QX9650?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by woodback, 10 Oct 2010.

1. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

The QX9650 will make a bigger differences in gaming over the Q6600.

If I was you, I would take advice from someone who has actually owned both of these CPU'S.

I have previously stated that I would save my penny's for the X68 chipset and Sandy bridge.

2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I have moved from an E6850, dual core 3ghz and 4mb cache, to a QX9550, quad core 2.83ghz and 12mb cache - I too am giving advice from a position of experience, except the CPUs in my case are ever-so-slightly lower spec.

I noted next to zero different to my gaming performance. Perhaps a boost of 1-2 FPS on the low end, but as it rarely drops below v-sync (eg 59 - 61 FPS) this isn't something I noticed really.

I ardently disagree that you NEED to go to Core i-based setup if you already have a fast quad core setup, especially if that's one of the 12mb cache chips.

In my case I felt that a bump from dual-core to quad-core would be sensible, hence doing so, and that cost me a quarter what it would've cost for me to dump my 4gb DDR2, motherboard, and cpu.

3. hotnikkelz

hotnikkelz What's a Dremel?

I don't see any sensible upgrade with that mobo. I think it'll be wise to save money until sandy bridge. Q6600 is just that legendary.

4. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I second that
    Make sur your air cooling can deal with it, I use a Mugen2 with 2 x 120mm (Manually adjustable) + another 120mm on the front and its work fine. 36-40 idle and around 58-64 when I game intensely.