1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve releases Steamworks SDK

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 May 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

It scares me a little to say thins, but it's amazing when a software company actually does what they say they're going to do. As usual, good on Vavle for delivering :thumb:

3. zero0ne

zero0ne Minimodder

back in the day, when I was playing CS 1.5 and 1.6 was in beta via STEAM and valve was testing out steam etc, I NOT ONCE said that steam was a bad idea or was a horrible platform... why? because its an amazing platform!

I can remember everybody in 1.6 servers talking about how they hated steam this, hated valve that, yet I would always be like "you people are morons, steam is going to revolutionize the online gaming community"

Of course it hasn't really "Revolutionized" the gaming community, it is getting really freaking close.

I'm just glad Valve had the balls of steel and were able to truck on through all the crap they were getting the first few years, and in a few more years, it will only be more polished.

Thanks Valve / STEAM for sticking in there!

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

*Bows* Valve are gods *Bows*

5. phat-ant

phat-ant What's a Dremel?

Steam pretty much killed off my cs community, they should have made the change from cs1.5 to 1.6 mandatory completely fragmented the communities.

its had its ups and downs but they seem to be doing well with it now. I do find it easier than using cds/dvds etc.. lets hope they don't go down the pay to play route some companies have.

6. wiak

wiak What's a Dremel?

well with steam you dont get infected with copy protection, steam will allow you to play your own games on any computer with a steam client and with your ownb steam account, so it wont force you to ONLY use ONE computer, this is also one of the points of steam being teh best, CS 1.5 to 1.6 wasnt realy madatory also, they didnt shutdown the old 1.5 servers and steam WAS realy needed, as the 1.5 master servers sucked so bad they went down half the time, valve wont go pay per play route, if you notice that they relese new updates and gameplay types, heck TF2 goldrush update could have been a NEW chapter, and chould have costed to and its 100% free update for TF2 owners now, steam have had its downs but atm it works way better than any other, dont forget the EAs Link thingy that was should i say "crap" if you compare it to steam

my point is can people find anything that is better than steam?
    my answer is "NO!" you wont find anything that allows you to play your own games on vaction in another country :p

my 100 cents :D

7. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

The more I hear about Steam, the more the concept intrigues me. I will have to wait until I make my next move though. No highspeed here...I'm still on dial-up. :wallbash:

8. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Wow dial up. Haven't had that since 1999.

I would make some joke about how the 90's want their technology back but I just feel too damn sorry for you.

9. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

Rejoice...the day you'll get broadband everything will be so shiny !! You won't have to live in every beta site, and you will enter straight into te Web 2.0 ! [/rubbish talk]
    Steam is the way to go. If a game I want is on Steam or retail (for approx the same price) I'll take Steam without doubt.
    My only concern is what type of info is actually collected by it...it is supposed to collect quite a bit.

I think the olive color scheme might be putting people off a bit.
    I've found (and am using) a neat skin to counter that.

10. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

I wonder how many more games we'll start seeing show up on Steam now .. will be interesting to watch

Tags: Add Tags