1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Where can I buy glasses online?

Discussion in 'General' started by Red Eye, 6 Apr 2009.

1. Red Eye

Red Eye Minimodder

Well, I've now been working for a few months for my placement year and have decided I should buy something worthwhile other than the junk I usually seem to consume. I'm due a new pair of glasses since my last prescription lenses which was 9 years ago and considering I'll want to learn to drive/ride a bike soon I should really buy some glasses.

I've heard that buying frames can be significantly cheaper online than at an opticians so I am keen at looking down this route, I seem to buy almost everything online so why not my glasses.
    Having a quick look at a few sites its hard to tell which online retailers are good/trustworthy. So I turn to the BT community to recommend any online retailers? Has anyone bought glasses online? What was your experience with the company? Are there any sites you know I should stay clear of?

In the meantime I will be getting my eyes tested and window shopping along the high street.

Thanks in advance :thumb:

J

2. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

you can buy glasses online? i might give it a try, the prescription ones i have now are in really bad condition.

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

The last time I was due a new pair of goggles, I had a look online and unless the price has dropped in the past year, it was pretty much the same online as it was in the shop, with the sort of frames and coatings I was after.

4. JesterQ

JesterQ What's a Dremel?

there's loads popped up recently, you can even buy frames from anywhere and then pass them your pescription and they'll make them up. £40 4 the len's was the best i've found.

5. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Seeing (pun) as how 90% of what most people look for in spectacles is how they fit your face, are you sure want to buy a frame online with out knowing how they look on you? and the lenses need to be ground to the right spacing for your eye width. Each set of lenses are custom fit for face and frame. This is one thing I can't imagine buying sight unseen.

mvagusta likes this.
  6. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

You might find though that an opticians will charge you for an eyetest if you don't buy glasses with them.

Once you add up frames, lenses, and the eyetest charge, you may find that you can get just as good a deal on the high street.

Tesco Opticians are currently doing free eye tests and buy one get one free on any glasses over £75 (you pay for the most expensive pair); standard lenses are included and its +£12 for tint, and another +£12 for UV filter, if you wanna turn em into sunglasses. My other half just updated her specs last week.

7. JesterQ

JesterQ What's a Dremel?

True and True .. so you do take a risk with the frame style, but as part of your exam they do take your PDP, pupil distance pupil. Which should be on your exam doc which you pass to the len's makers, just as the high street would do.

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I never thought of Tesco for glasses - I suppose they do everything now tbh.

D&H do free eye-tests for students btw, if anyone's needing one, like I probably do.

9. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

They just opened a new bigger superstore by me so Tesco's included an opticians and are offering free eye tests to get footfall. I'm sure they will charge for it when its time for that next eye test!

10. Red Eye

Red Eye Minimodder

This is the only site that I know of that sell glasses online, Glasses Direct do a 10 day trial where you can try before you buy. They send the frames to you which you have to send back.

My initial idea was to find a pair that I like via window shopping and check if they are cheaper online.

In other news, I've heard that Boots have bought out D&A, I think the branches will be rebranded soon, think that makes them one of the major optician chains on the high street now.

11. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

there's a whole bunch listed on moneysavingexpert. When i looked at it as an option a few years ago, with my perscription i needed the ultra thin lenses to stop my glasses looking like bottle ends, and the cost for the online places just rocketed once you selected anything other than defaults, so it was more sensible to go to an optician instead and have them fitted, but they looked very very reasonable if you have a light perscription, or only wear them for driving and don't really carehow they look. Oh and if you want free eye tests move to Scotland, free eye tests since 2006.

12. kenco_uk

Even better - move to Wales, free NHS prescriptions :)

13. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

14. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

15. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I thought they just had a higher age limit on free prescriptions? Last time I got one there it was like under 24 or something gets em free.

16. kenco_uk

I don't know - perhaps the first couple are free then they charge sky high prices?

17. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

I would go to a shop and try on some, and the ones you like take down the info and find it cheaper online. Sure fire way to get something for cheaper and still know what you are getting.

Also 9 years is a long time to not get new glasses, I mean on the prescription side of that. I get a new prescription/set every 2-3 years now. More or less cause my others get really old and start to do weird things. Plus you keep with the style a bit.

Here in the states glasses can be pretty cheap, even in the shop, but its all in the brands/styles. You get what you want and you'll spend more for sure.

Happy hunting

:)

18. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Not very fair on the shop, that, is it?

19. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

free?! you guys are lucky. If I got to the optometrist and buy glasses there it costs $600+. My sisters cost here $1000!

You can definitely get them cheaper but the quality and warranty is also much better from the optometrist.

20. Red Eye

Red Eye Minimodder

My eye sight is not bad at all, I only need glasses to read very far text. Even when attending lectures at university I only need glasses if I am sitting extremely far away from the front. Other than that I wear my glasses when at the movies. My eyes don't hurt at all, in fact I think that my eyes have kept consistent since my prescription 9 years ago. When I put on my 9 year old glasses, all the corrections seem to be spot on so I can not imagine that my prescription would have changed greatly.

One of my main reasons for not keeping up to date with my prescription is fear that the same will happen as did to my brother. He's a few years older than me but got needed a pair of glasses around the same age that I did. He began with wearing the glasses more often than he should've. Over the years I watched his eye sight worsen and his dependency on glasses increase, he now has bottle caps and can not even function without a pair. So I use my glasses a need only basis. I do realise that I'll need an up to date prescription in order to learn to drive/ride a bike, I have a job for a few more months so I'm pushing myself to make a sensible purchase.