1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Which resolution

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kronos, 28 Mar 2016.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

In all the years I have been gaming I have, fo the most part, played at whatever resolution was default for my monitor. But I feel that this is probably not the way to necessarily get the best from games but again, for the most part they have run pretty good at that res.

But given my spec (in sig) and games such as the one I am just starting COD Black Ops 3 where I have the resolution set at 3440 x 1440 and settings on high. I think it looks and feels OK but at the moment not convinced that my settings are correct.

Any advice welcome.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

BLOPS III graphically is a car crash. It absolutely devours VRAM and looks quite terrible whilst doing so. The only redeeming feature that game has is that it is co op and you can play through the very confusing campaign with a chum.

Does it offer you the extra settings per chance? - to explain, is there a setting in the graphics menu called "extra"? On my Fury X cards (also 4gb) I can not set it to extra. Maxed out at 4k the game uses 6gb.

Thing is, at less than "extra" it looks even worse....

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Yes I do have extra and it looks as though it is on by default. The other choices are:
    Disabled.
    Low.
    Medium.
    High.

4. Vault-Tec

I would imagine at the resolution you are running it at 4gb is not really enough for "extra". I'm going to try it in a minute at 1440p on my 4k monitor to see if I get the settings back.

Update. Well it seems this game bums Nvidia, because even when I change the resolution down to 1080p and restart the game I still can't get the extra settings.

Time to hack it about !!

Last edited: 28 Mar 2016
  5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

It is not playing nice at all, can get a bit jerky, so going to need to play around with the settings myself.

6. Vault-Tec

Well I dropped it to 1440p and hacked the config file to enable the extra settings and it seemed to be fine. I know it's a VRAM hog though. Like, totally. Before they put in the restriction line in the code I could run it at 4k with extra settings but it would just stutter and eventually black screen.