1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics x16+x8 PCI-e 2.0 GPU Impacts

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by roosauce, 18 Jun 2013.

1. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone has seen recent information on the impact of moving from x16/x16 SLI to x16/x8 SLI on high end GPUs?

My use case is that I'd like to use one of my PCI-e slots to hold a x8 raid card. That would however drop my second PCI-e slot down to x8 and I'm a bit worried about the performance hit. I've seen some articles suggesting that the hit would be slight, but that was using 480's and other cards around that generation.

I'm particularly interested in stats around cards with plenty of RAM i.e. that shouldn't have to be pushing textures in and out of memory very much.

I m using PCI-e gen 2.0 NOT 3.0 ...

Any pointers appreciated!!

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I can't remember where I saw it now but from what I remember the difference was tiny (like single digit % difference tiny).

I'll see if I can find it.

3. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

4. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

Thanks for the responses. Interesting stuff ... does anyone know what the traffic over the PCI-e lanes actually is, and what impacts it (e.g. AA increases it)?

3% isn't all that much. It seems to mean that there's just a small additional delay rather than the platform falling right behind with a backlog of data.