1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1Gbps broadband

Discussion in 'Serious' started by DeathAwaitsU, 29 Apr 2005.

1. robbybertu15

robbybertu15 <b>needs a job</b>

Jeez I get about 845kbs...*******s.

2. Redwolf

Redwolf Supermodel

yeah I checked mine and its about 850kps not 512.

3. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

New York will be geting fiberoptic lines within the next cuple of years so gigabit internet and internet hdtv could be a very big posibility. Prices in actuality have been droping dramaticaly through the years, its just that companies keep them artificialy up. My profesor ( I study telecomunications) said it cost a provider something along the lines of 1c per megabit per customer they provide with fiber even though fiber optic cable cost about 300times more per foot than coper based lines. Fiber hasent been completly top out either.

One thing I dont understand why europeans pay so mutch for bandwidth is that they have some the worlds main dns servers very close and it would be that mutch easier to run lines and mutch more cost efective. That and the fact that there are allot of webhosters that have high powered lines in europe.

On another note it may be easier for them to ofer gigabit internet in asia as the infrastructure would be brand new where in the rest of the world the old infrastructure is still in afect so its more expensive to replace an infrastructure than to build a new one.

ok enough of my rambling back to gigabit pron

4. devenfore

devenfore LANCandy

A T1, isnt anywhere near 35mbps.. :)

I am getting 3mbps down, and about 400kbps up.

5. MaplinMan

MaplinMan What's a Dremel?

if they release a gigabit line here it will be cool and new for like 2 months then everyone will start getting it... then what... the next blow your mind away thing would have to be even faster

but in the uk nerds are going I WILL PAY ANYTHING TO GET THAT 8Mb LINE!!! then next year it will be I WILL SELL MY GRANNY FOR THE NEW 20Mb LINE!!! etc

all the way until we catch up... but every month the newest speed will cost a ridiculous amount and the isps are laughing all the way to the bank...

6. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

OMG i'm geting my bag and the first plane over there
    i would love that as i'm on 2Mbps

7. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

Shhhhh don't let them catch on yet... we dont want pay per use software.

8. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

1Gbps! :eeek: And I thought my 56k was fast :rock:

9. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

:hehe: .

Death

10. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

I'm currently waiting until my 4meg bulldog adsl goes live, and thought that was the best...

11. bengaskell

bengaskell Banned

Anyone used SDSL? It's pretty sweet. Used it in a thrid world country as-well. Yeh, well I was working as an ICT technition for a school in wales and it actually had SDSL. It was a 2meg line so that kinda speed would mean you could host a server at home for a small site. It went down at one point and took BT 2 days to get it back, which was annoying. Really handy for BitTorrent too...

bg

12. K

K 528491

Christ that's fast.

Regarding HDTV and the like, do we even get Dolby Digital through SKY and such yet? Pretty lame.

13. [S]huttle

[S]huttle What's a Dremel?

Once we move to the west coast of Florida near the Tampa area we gonna go with the Fios - Up to 15 Mbps/2 Mbps - Best Value $49.95 a month. Right now we have Road Runner which they just upgraded to 5mbps for about the same price as the Fios.

14. Icecoldbagey

Icecoldbagey Mountain Dew!!!

very nice but Uk companies would slap a D'load limit on it straight away and if not would be obscenely expensive.

Ice

15. Springs

Springs Boing boing

thats sorta like the internet prices around here...

im still on 512kb waiting for my ISP to increase it for free and i think we pay something like £20 but move 10 miles down the road and get 8mb for £30.. :waah:

16. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

more like we are all going to need about 10 terra bytes of hdd space..

17. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

At work, we're on the Lambda Rail here in the US, and when downloading from other members, I've downloaded a 5Gb file in about 10~15 seconds!
    (only worked once though, our computing center blocked out regular usage quickly, so they can use it for other research-based purposes)

18. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

i dont think you understand, dragging something off of gigabit is actually faster than getting files directly off of your hard drive.
    There would be no need for masses of storage because there would be no need to keep anything on your hard drive

19. Mattt

Mattt Minimodder

"There would be no need for masses of storage because there would be no need to keep anything on your hard drive"

i dunno what if i felt like trying to backup the internet with my new ultra fast line?? :hehe:

20. Springs

Springs Boing boing

just think off all the things you could d/l in a day... :D :D :D