1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 3GB EVGA 660ti Cheesecake+

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Poulter, 15 Apr 2013.

1. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

The 300R is widely considered the best case at its price point, but if you want some other opinions try using the forum search for Zalman Z9, there have been a few topics over the past few years and iirc they generally aren't favourable towards the case.

2. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

Tbh i was taken in by the nice colours and temp display :p are there any other cases i should consider?

3. Shirty

I don't think the Z9 is a bad case at all, just not necessarily the best choice. Case buying decisions come down to three things: noise, cooling and bling.

What order of importance would you put these in? If it's bling you want and you like the look of the Zalman then go for it. If you want quiet performance look at something like the Fractal Core 3000. If you just want to keep your components cool then look at the Antec One. If you don't mind going over budget look at the 300R.

Or just change all your plans and get an orange Bitfenix Prodigy :p

4. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Wise words. There's various little things to consider. The Zalman doesn't have a USB 3.0 header, only a pass through cable which will stick out the back and take up a slot on the rear I/O ports and the fan controller is a nice addition for the price but only controls 2 fans and yet it comes with 3 and can take 5. Anything by fractal is going to be good for cooling and very good for low noise but fairly bland and boring in the looks, corsairs are virtually bulletproof and will provide good cooling and so on. Even old faithfuls like the Antec 300 might be worth a look since they're stalwarts which have stood the test of time and had updates to improve them (but can be a bitch to cable route at times).

I recently built a machine for a friend using the Sharkoon T28 in green and was very impressed by what you get for the money, excellent cable management, side window (without stupid side fan mounts :D god i hate them), good HDD mounting.

Just take your pick :D

5. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

What about the z11+? :p the 300R just looks a bit bland for me, is there not something that looks really good and does the job? :p

6. Shirty

You're a teensy bit limited by the price point.

7. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

If you really like the look of the Zalman then by all means go for it, it's your PC after all and you'll see it everday. We're not saying its a rubbish case, we're just saying that there is better available within your budget.

Here's a possible option CM Storm Enforcer. That's just within budget based on the basket I put together and has had very good reviews and isn't a bland square box :thumb:

8. Shirty

Throbbi's absolutely right, and it's important when you interpret our advice that you realise we're trying not to allow our emotions take precedence. I would rather gouge out my own eyes and eat them in a light miso soup base than look at the Z9 every day, but that doesn't make it a bad case by any stretch.

I'm not a fan of too much colour or funny shapes in my cases, but I respect the decisions of those who are.

9. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

Yes i suppose you're right, for things like the graphics cards etc i really really need the help on, but when it comes to the case it comes down to more personal preference, as all the ones recommended will still cool it easily enough, but its the aesthetics.
    Apart from the case then (i'm stuck between the z9 and z11 now) is there anything else on there i should change at all? Anything else i should think about?
    Thanks so much for the help guys :D

10. phoenixck

phoenixck What's a Dremel?

Mind if I weigh in? I've built a pc for a friend using the z9 and other than a £20 cit case I've never had such a faff when it came to fitting the components. Having said that I don't want to be unconstructive so I shall return with alternate cases...... (as an aside does anybody else always misread cit?)

11. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

Ah see now that could be a great point to pick up, i've never build a computer before, so having a nice easy case to do it with would be good, any suggestions are greatly appreciated, gives me more choice :D

12. phoenixck

phoenixck What's a Dremel?

If you like overstated cases how about this nzxt case?

Also worth checking out are the b grade cases on overclockers. I've had a few b grade products from them and never had an issue.

13. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

I do like the look of it, but it is however a 4 year old case, is there anything different that would have changed in those years?
    EDIT: I used to want to get the antec 902, but was told it was really old and outdated, that's all

14. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I've given you the best option in build, which suits your need. Here in your other thread.

The case and mobo can be changed to whatever you want, which will bring the cost down, and in budget.
    If you can get a bundle deal - I.E CPU, Mobo, and Ram, then do it, as this will save further costs.

You need to be quick on buying the ram, as prices are due to increase, when Haswell comes out.

The GTX 660TI 3GB F.T.W is more than future proof, and will OC to a GTX 670 in speed. More than 2GB VRAM is future proofing.

15. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

True, ok i'll go with that, and will change out the case, might think of keeping the mobo, but upgrade the 24" dell ultrasharp?

16. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Your missing the point - Unless 16:10 ratio is needed (No good for watching movies...) Then the IPS montior I have listed, is on par with the Dell U23XX IPS Series, which uses the same panel...

17. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

Right, sorry yes i was only going to use it for gaming, so no point in getting it. Right i'll just stick with that monitor then, no need to change it

18. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 16 Apr 2013