1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU AMD FM1 A6 Temperature Sensor, what does it mean?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neogumbercules, 28 Aug 2013.

1. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

So I've had this CPU for a while now and it hasn't bothered me before, but I'm trying to tweak the CPU for a bit of extra performance and I'm running into an issue.

The temp sensor is showing me an incorrect value. I'm fairly positive the temperature in my room is not actually 10c. But hey, maybe I'm just REALLY bad at converting C to F :lol:

During a small FFT Prime run it hits 35c.

Obviously not a real temp. This is across multiple programs BTW, doesn't seem to make a difference.

I'm guessing the temp I'm seeing is an offset, but an offset of what? There's a "CPUTIN" temp that reads fairly accurately (currently seeing 35c at idle). Could it possibly be that the temp sensors are showing me an offset so I have to add the core temp to the CPUTIN temp to get the real temp?

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

My parents' PC has an FM2 APU and the CPU has 2 Temps:

First for the CPU itself
    Second is for the GPU, or more specifically the temp difference between it and the CPU

So running Furmark, the GPU will only register [say] 20°C, when it's reality it's CPU temp + 20

Maybe this is what you're seeing?

3. Deders

Deders Modder

4. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

That's the core temp. You want the package temp, that's the one you can rely on for your TJMAX.

I see my cores at 12c sometimes...

5. Neogumbercules

Idle temps:

[​IMG]

Load Small FFT Prime 95 after a few minutes:

[​IMG]

The AC makes it nice and cool in my room, but not 7c! :lol:

The cooler on my CPU is a mid-range Cooler Master ITX cooler. It's decent but obviously it cannot defy the laws of thermodynamics!

6. Deders

Deders Modder

Does this help?

7. Neogumbercules

Ah yes Deders that explains it. Not very useful for the end user but AMD seems to have good reasons for doing it this way. Guess I'll just have to stress test my OC and trust the system to know when to throttle.