1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Briefcase Computer First Mod Attempt (needs picture host:( )

Discussion in 'Modding' started by fuzzygoblin, 25 Dec 2003.

1. fuzzygoblin

fuzzygoblin What's a Dremel?

hey guys, this is my first real contribution the the bit-tech forums, iv been reading them for a month and a bit now, you guys have done some really amazing mods and ive lernt quite a bit from here.

"Operation Briefcase"- Operation Briefcase is the first computer i will have built, and modded, the name is quite self explanitory a Computer in a briefcase. Sure people have done these before and its very original, but im hoping to add some unique touches.

i went for a computer in a briefcase because the case was cheap, and they sort of have a secret agent feel to them.

SPECS-
    Amd athlon xp 2600+ boxed
    A-bit VA10 micro atx mother board
    512 pc-3200 ddr
    pioneer slot loading dvd drive
    ge-force 4 fx 5200
    80gb wd 7200 rpm hdd

thats all for now :rock:

Last edited: 15 May 2004
  2. pilsl

pilsl What's a Dremel?

lol, that's a pretty good computer :)

Hope it turns out the way you want it to.

3. fuzzygoblin

Its christmas and santa has brought me all my parts. unfortunately i have no pictures yet because i canot get my digital cammer to install properly, it should be fixed tommorow.

today i have; added my key switch(power button), reset button, power on and hdd leds, and my 80mm green led fan with bio hazard fan grill.

thats all ive got done so far becasue i havent brought my spacers and stuff yet so im not entirly sure of where to cut he holes yet, im hoping to ge them tommorow if the store is open.

sorry i hvae no pictures for you but ill try to fix that up

Cheers

4. fuzzygoblin

yeah, its good, but its not the best, normaly my christmas allication is $500 but this year my mum has had to take like $30 dollars every week from her pension, wich left things even tighter then normal. I am very gratefull that its as good as it though.

5. pilsl

pilsl What's a Dremel?

I "only" got $150USD for christmas :)

My parents have the money, they just dont "spoil" me/siblings. They don't buy us cars for 16th birthday even though they could, etc... They make us work for things, which of course I don't like at this point in my life(I'm 17 btw), but I can completely understand why and that it's going to help me in the long run.
    Plus $150 isnt that little compared to what other people get :(

6. fuzzygoblin

yeah ok, my perants have a christmas club account and so much money is put asadie each week.

anywayz back to the topic, i had a go at installing my cpu and fan, but i couldnt get he fan to lock on wich is a bummer, because now i have to buy some more paste and alchol to clean it.

i still cant get my cammera to work i mihgt buy this little one i found, its key ring size but is only 0.1 of a mega pixle for $40 aus.

its quiet obvious no boady like my briefcase idea

cheers

7. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Wow, I can't remember once when my parients gave me more than $20 on any occasion :blah: Even though my father and his new wife pull in close to a mill per year (roughly $920,000), bah, people with parents who know how to manage money (and arn't cheap $^*#'s). Every thing I've ever owned I've had to work for, I went litteraly years without any new clothing.

Anyway, thats offtopic, looks like this'll be a good mod! I've done something simmilar to this (but did it with an old 486 for the "wow, pathetic" factor :rock: ). Only thing I can recomend: vent the fans properly, otherwise you'll ruin the look! (unless your going to be running it with top open, then nvm....)

8. fuzzygoblin

yeah lets get over this money thing and keep on topic.

9. Malvolio

Malvolio .

And don't get down man, just because people don't reply to your post doesn't mean they arn't watching (check the retro media center mod in my siggy, "one man band" type action there). Anyway, to install the heat sync on an AMD XP cpu is fairly simple, but it takes a lot of paitence, and a lot of control. Get a screwdriver that just fits into the little "notch" just above where it snaps into the one side (after you've locked into place the other side) and push gently, but firmly, down untill it gets below the little grabber/snap, and then push in, and it should just sorta "slip" into position. I had the same trouble when I threw my xp into my rig. If ya need any help, just ask, and I'll do my best for ya. :thumb:

10. fuzzygoblin

yeah, teh problem i had was the screw driver was slipping and i nearly stabbed my mother board, i have recieved some helpful tips from a friend.

he sugested using blu-tach (that stuff you use to stick things on the wall) on the end so the screw driver didnt slip.

do you think that the 0.1 of a mega pixle didgital camera would produce relativley clear pictures?

11. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Humm, sticky-tack (blu-tack) would work, yeah, though be careful that you don't get too much on there! Then you may not be able to snap it in. And about the camera, you sure it's 0.1 mega pixel? My 1 mega pixel takes pathetic pictures (see retro media center link in sig >.<), but hey, go into the store and ask a salesperson what they say, and get the name/model of the camera and do some research online, see if you can find any pictures that we're taken with it. And good photo tip: sunlight is your friend. Good luck!

12. fuzzygoblin

yeah, ill have a look on the net for some pictures heres the link to the camera. click here

13. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Oh, those things :D I've seen a couple pictures from them, they arn't that bad (proably better than mine lol), but the pictures are small, not that it's a bad thing, means you don't have to re-size emm to post emm! Note the "352 x 288 pixels" bit, thats a good size to post in a forum like this, so yeah, try it, and if it doesn't work that good, then you can allways take it back (or sell it). But see if you can do some research first, as thats allways the best thing to do before buying anything in electronics.

14. fuzzygoblin

i found a sample picture its ok.
    [​IMG]

15. fuzzygoblin

yeah ill see what happens i have to buy screws maybe some fans and some stand offs yet.

dont supose you have some you could give me? actually that mihgt not work im in tasmania australia

16. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Yep, better than my camera :thumb: But try and do your pics arround noonish time outside :p :dremel: Happy modding

[EDIT] lol, I've got a ton of screws I could send ya, but yeah, I don't have money for the post right now :p Sorry mate! [/EDIT]

17. fuzzygoblin

noon is the middle of the day isnt it.

and you do it then for best light?

18. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Here, got ya some good camera tips (sorry if I start to come off as a bit overpowering, I tend to do that heh :blush: )

19. fuzzygoblin

ok im going to go and get that camera tomorow and then i can get this mod under way:)

20. fuzzygoblin

good news guys, i got my digital camera working, pictures will be up in about 30 minutes im just makign them a bit more 56k friendly.

see you in 30