Windows Can Windows XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cicada, 14 Dec 2001.

1. Cicada

Cicada What's a Dremel?

support 3 monitors?

becausei m thinking of adding a 3rd monitor to my system....but ive been told it cna only go up to 2 monitors, in which case i may have to go to win2k or something like that...

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

i think it depends on whether the software for your cards can support 3 moniters.

3. Cicada

Cicada What's a Dremel?

wouldnt it be the operating system though? because under settings, i can choose extended desktop...etc...

4. SuperScrubber

SuperScrubber Mad Chemist.....buwahahaa

eek sorry - double post, check below!!! :D:D

5. SuperScrubber

6. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

I've just started using dual monitors...to use 3 would be ..... madness, surely

Problem with dual monitors (well I think it's a problem) is that you have to disable the 2nd monitor to play OpenGL games (and possibly D3D, not sure)

7. R121

R121 What's a Dremel?

all M$ Os's have supported multiple monitors since 98se.
    2000 and xp can support up to 10 monitors I run three monitors @ home just install 3 graphics cards and then go into system properties and click on extend my desktop on both the 2nd and 3rd monitor and thats it.

like phil said you have to disable the extra monitors to paly games. thats a shame just imagine playing flight sim, F1 GP3 with 3 monitors !!!!!!! :rofl:

8. batsman

batsman the quiet one

i have used mutiple monitors for a while also some games work without having to disable the second monitor (but you cant use it for the game ie spead it) i think redalert works and unreal i think but microsoft should sort it so you can spead games like flight simulator and commandoes over more than one and the thing that bugged me mot as having the same fcuking desktop picture on both monitors. whats the point of having an xtendned desktop with identical wallpapers on each monitor? microsoft sort it out.

9. SuperScrubber

some games can be made to support multimonitor gaming such as unreal, Q3 or MS flight sims as well as some others

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tis a shame more games dont offer this though :(
    Theres more info on these at the above link.

10. Goblin

Goblin What's a Dremel?

You need to get hold of a copy of Ultramon then. Really extends the functionality of multiple monitors, allowing you to "throw" applications to a certain monitor, have easy access to disabling the second monitor for stuff that won't play ball and, of course, use multiple wallpapers.

I'm not sure if it works under XP, but certainly under 9x/2000

http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

Goblin

11. Cicada

Cicada What's a Dremel?

does all the VideoRAM add up between al lteh video cards?

like say i had a 64MB GeForce3, and a 32MB PCI Card.....would that mean i have 96MB of VRam?

12. Cicada

Cicada What's a Dremel?

now is that running in windows XP or Linux, and do oyu need special drivers? because it wont spread in my version of UT and Q3.... >_>

13. SuperScrubber

Honestly couldnt tell you m8, I found those images while surfing about at the above link so it might be worth going there to see if you can find anything else out :):)

14. MrBadidea

MrBadidea What's a Dremel?

All games 'technically' support multimoniter mode - set them to use a window insted of full screen...

then you need to ha><or the settings for the games to use a resolution that will span all of your monitors (if you got 3 monitors, at 640*480, then you need the resolution 1920*480)

Then set all you resolutions of your desktops to 640*480 (in the example!) and hey presto, you got multimonitor mode :D

Thing is I can't remember what to ha><or to get it to work - ah hell, Iam just gonner ha><or it anyways and see what happens :D

15. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

the third one looks like M$ windoze
    and i dunno about others but it'd put my aim off in games having it spread over 3 monitors or more! better to have a large monitor and use others for irc or something

16. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

sorry thats 4th - i can't count ;)

Tags: