Windows Command and Conquer Generals 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Neogumbercules, 11 Dec 2011.

1. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

So it's been confirmed: http://www.vg247.com/2011/12/11/biowares-cc-generals-2-announced-for-2013/

I wouldn't say that Generals was my favorite series, but I spent a more time than I should have playing it. There was no story to speak of and the factions were as generic as could be, but the gameplay was fun and that's what kept me coming back. Wonder what they'll do with it now.

All we do know is that the premise is a terrorist attack at a summit of world leaders leaves the planet's superpowers without any leadership except for their Generals (which is -very- far fetched) and the game is being developed on Frostbite 2 as a PC exclusive. GLA and EU are the only confirmed factions.

I'm not sure about the political structure of other nations, but in the US if the President dies the Vice President becomes president and if they both die the speaker of the house becomes president and it goes down from there but -never- gives executive power to the military but does eventually land on the Secretary of Defense who isn't a member of the military nor can hold the position if he/she has served in the military less than 7 years prior. However, even that would require the incapacitating of SIX other people in the line of succession. Also, the secret service makes sure that the Pres, VP and Speaker are never in the same place at the same time (other than in the White House) specifically to prevent something like that from happening.

But I suppose that may be why the US isn't included in a list of factions.

Last edited: 11 Dec 2011
  2. loftie

loftie Multimodder

The plot sounds terrible. I imagine, that China will also be amongst the factions, like in the first. I'm surprised that they added EU, either as an extra faction or as a replacement for the US faction. But who knows.

I find it amusing that it's being developed by a company known for it's RPGs, on an engine primarily made for an FPS. Though I'm sure anything is better than the engine the first one was built on.

3. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

4. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Well it's not the first of april so....

ZOMGOMGOMGOGOMGOMGOMGOMG SO EXCITED

What's with the tiberium universe style EU vehicles though? Generals 1 was contemporary.

5. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

They're developing an RTS on the BF3 engine? That's gonna be a GPU killer. Looks good, even if the plot sounds like the usual C+C garbage.

6. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

All I want is a remake of Generals/RA2 in HD, I'd be content with that :D

Absolutely hated the dumbed down RA3/CnC4, but a little bit worried as Bioware doesn't have the experience doing RTS like Blizzard with Starcraft D:

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

RA3 was okay. CnC4 was a diaster, might as well call it CnC for dummies. basically it tried to copy Halo Wars.

i am not too sure about Bioware developing CnC. it's really a shame EA bought out Westwood and dissolved it. but one good thing about this is that it's PC exclusive, and Generals is more like traditional RTS rather than fast paced classical CnC.

8. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

^ this
    everything after zero hour was a bit of a flop tbh

9. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

Sounds good, Generals was always a good game

10. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

this has the potential to be good, lets just hope the AI is up to scratch ( as opposed to harder = less build time )

11. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

God damn did I Love Command and Conquer Generals and Zero Hour.

I hope they do not balls this up.

12. Neogumbercules

Just want to point out that this is Victory Games, which EA merged with Bioware. So it's not the same developers of Dragon Age/ME.

13. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I sooo hope Frank Klepacki has some input on the Soundtrack for Generals 2, It needs Bill Brown and Mikael Sandgren on it too.

Sam

14. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Really looking forward to this, I haven't enjoyed a CnC game since the original Generals/ZH. Then again, it's a completely different developer/engine so I'm a little worried that it may only be a sequel in name rather than a true sequel.

15. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

Thinking positively:
    Generals was fun, mainly with the Zero Hour expansion added to it though, but it looked good and played well and had lots of longevity too. It's the last C&C game I really enjoyed, the ones since then I didn't like. So it's nice that they are returning to a successful version of it. Also, it will be a nice change to have a C&C that actually looks good. I worry about frame rate issues, but the last few C&C games have looked very dated even by release. So I'm excited about getting one that will look good.

It must be nice being the one company that has sewn up the entire games industry so has access to whatever engine you want.

Thinking differently:
    The C&C series is **** now. It was brilliant in the 90's when it was a forerunner, but since then the genre has moved on in leaps and the C&C games never moved with the times. RTS's have diversified, with some games offering more instant action and no basebuilding etc. Games like World in Conflict offering a whole new view of the battlefield where you fly around and can view it at any angle. Some games offering the ability to actually take control of the units you control in a first person view and be a part of the fight. And some games sticking to the old C&C formula but doing it bigger and better than C&C ever did (Supreme Commander / Forged Alliance).

C&C needed to evolve to keep competitive with these games, but instead it has actually devolved... Since generals it went to the next game (Tiberium something) which was really boring and only had 3 races, and unlike the Tiberian game before it, had lots of stuff missing, no subterranean units, no chemical warfare etc. Then it went to another one that was even more simple and had silly dialogue and graphics like a cartoon. And then it went to the most recent version which was a total catastrophe.

So after driving the series in to the ground, they then try to recover by giving it to a developer that has never made an RTS before? Good luck with that.

16. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

17. seismic2k

seismic2k What's a Dremel?

After what they did to C&C4 i thought the franchise was truly dead but i'm cautiously optimistic about this one...between this and bf3 i think i can almost justify going SLI

18. Neogumbercules

I read some emails from a couple of the lead developers of CnC4 about what happened in that clusterfrak.

I'm going on year+ memory here so bear with me.

CnC4 was never meant to be CnC4. The original design intent was to develop an online-only Korean RTS and vaguely relate it to CnC. At some point someone decided that that was not good enough and the game would be rebadged as CnC4 and released world-wide. They slapped some horrible cutscenes to it, crapped out a story that spans all of 5 missions, and officially shat upon the CnC name forever by releasing that garbage in a rushed, broken state.

Before that crap had even launched, most of the staff at EALA was gone and the team working on it was practically a skeleton crew.

There's at least hope that this game will be better since they handed it off to Victory Games and seem to be putting a bigger budget behind it.

Thankfully, a few of the best people from EALA went off and made one of my favorite games this year: Bastion :thumb:

19. Matarsak

Matarsak What's a Dremel?

I keep reading about reservations over BioWare branching out into the RTS genre. They aren't. The game is being developed by Victory Games, formerly part of EA LA. They just slapped BioWare's name on it to milk whatever dregs of goodwill PC gamers have left for them.

20. OmightyOne

OmightyOne Minimodder

omg now im excited, i remeber the days of constant lan battles with my bro! and with frostbite 2 :O