1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Darkspore Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 6 May 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Mitcian

Mitcian What's a Dremel?

pretty fair representation of what I thought of the beta too. Wont be buying it.

3. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

a shame, really...

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

[- pio -] likes this.
  5. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

"Darkspore is almost perfectly suited to playing when you’re looking for nothing more than a sedate click-fest where you don’t actually have to engage your brain in any meaningful way"

Oddly this is what I thought of Torchlight....

6. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

oooo bit-tech bitchslap! I'm not surprised and concur.

7. Tsung

Tsung What's a Dremel?

Agreed, I played the Beta once maybe twice and thought the game lacked any sort of point.
    I found I couldn't care less about the heros, the scenery, the monsters I was killing or even why I was killing them. It was just click click click to the end of the level..

However, one feature I would love to see in other games (WoW / Blizzard you listening?) is the risk/reward bit. Nearly every game has a reward for completing a quest or achieving something but wouldn't it be great if instead of blindly giving that reward they stay "You can have this, or you can risk it for something better"

8. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

you what?!

9. Jojii

Jojii hardware freak

Reminded me of a bit of League of legends mashup with the crogenetors=summoners and the simplified ability system. Unfortunatly the action was a grind and there seemed to be no point to continue playing after the new shinyness wore off. Is there a pvp system that allows teams of crogenetors to battle one another in an arena? Then they might have a game on thier hands. Diablo 3 is doing it so it seems to be the way that action rpgs are headed.

10. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Obviously the reviewer wasn't impressed but that's still pretty subjective. Though I do agree fully with his comments, I for one still find the game rather satisfying for what it is, especially while waiting for D3. Definitely a step above Torchlight just for having multiplayer, but yeah it's still not the wet-your-pants spectacular game it could have been... so much potential.

11. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

Seeing as we're all waiting for Diablo 3 anyway, why not skip this mediocre offering from EA (*shudder*) and wait for Torchlight 2? Looks like it might release at E3 - it's only 1 month away.

12. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan What's a Dremel?

Spore can rot in hell as far as I'm concerned. I swore that after purchasing the original Spore on release, and finding myself bitterly disappointed, that I'd never buy EA again. Kept my promise so far, and still plan on keeping it.

13. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

During the beta I just assumed that they were just testing gameplay stuff, and the actual story would come into play with the full release.. Looks like I was wrong, and it stayed as a mindless grindfest. :-|

I did like the customization system though, I had some wacky characters!

14. Malvolio

Malvolio .

I personally love the fact that the game gets a right trouncing despite how absolutely littered the front page is with adverts for it. Shows the integrity of the staff and the site in general. This is why I stay here and trust your reviews - thanks for the good work and stiff upper lip, as always.

Tags: Add Tags