1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Decisions, decisions

Discussion in 'General' started by peteone, 20 Feb 2007.

1. peteone

peteone Minimodder

Well its about time for me to be buying a new vehicle. Ive got around 9k to spend and currently torn between MR2 Roadster and MX5 2 facelift.

There both quite evenly matched spec wise. I prefer the look of the MR2 but the the luggage space is non existant. Also not too sure about the interior on the MR2. The MX5 has a bit more room and the interior looks slightly better but I find the overall look of the car a bit plain.

Ive thought about spending a bit more and getting the Elise, or VX220 but I can only realy go to around £10K and dont think Id get a low milage, reasonably new example for that kind of price. Also Im after something reliable, not too expensive to run and maintain. Hence, MR2 or MX5.

Anything else I could look at in the small, 2 seat, open roof, reliable range?

Cheers:)

2. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Dude those are the exact two cars I am torn between!!! I test drove the MR2 with LSD, 6 speed box and then one without, in the dry there wasn't a huge amount of difference. I also test drove the celica, that was pretty rapid and with much more room in the boot, just to toss that in there because it was great to drive.

I haven't got round to having a go in a MX5 yet, what about you?

3. peteone

peteone Minimodder

Well, I drove a Celica 140 last year before I decided to go for the Audi A4, it was ok but wasnt keen on the interior of jap cars in general, thats just something Im gonna have to get over I think. The celica was a big contender at the time but I just love Audis so had to get another one. Now the audi is costing a fortune its time to get something a bit more fun, reliable and cheaper to run. :thumb:

My mate has a very nice MX5 1.8 sport which he took me out in last week, and it was nice, prety hard ride compared to what Im used to. Quite nippy though. My plan is to go out to the dealerships this weekend and test them both. Oh anoth requirement is, it has to have a hartop for the winter.

Also though about Civic Type R too, but its a tad ricey for me :/

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

A stock Type-R in the newer shape (not the new one, the previous one, don't know model codes), ain't ricey, it deserves maximum respect.

How about a 147 GTA? V6 power, wonderous Alfa styling and interior, respect from everyone who knows what's what, cheap to get 2nd hand.

5. peteone

peteone Minimodder

Yep the MK2 one, lovely looking car, great engine etc but just not sure if its for me. It is on the list for a test drive though. :)

Something I looked at when I got my first A3, not the GTA one though. Just not sure about the reliability of Alphas.

6. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

The what now? :lol:

7. Krikkit

They might be unreliable, but at least if you break down you can look at it, sit in it and melt inside.

8. Mother-Goose

I need to have a go in an mx5 to see if i can fit, i'm 6'2" with size 12 feet, the MR2 was great with the roof up as well, I drove it with the hard top on as well and that made it much much lighter inside. BUT the MX-5 has a boot which would means I could live with it longer. On the flip side I'm also looking at mitsubishi L200's.

9. peteone

peteone Minimodder

10. Mother-Goose

How much are you looking to spend? I think our budgets maybe slightly different lol I'm thinking between 6-9k. Are you going to be driving the 5 speed or 6 speed LSD MR2?

11. peteone

peteone Minimodder

Im looking at a max of 10k if I was to go for the VX, theres some reasonable spec ones on pistionheads for around that price, I dont know much about them though and have heard they have their niggles which Im trying to avoid.

Im not realy up on the MR2s box but I reckon Id go for the six speed box with the slip diff if I can find one.

Im just gonna go to the Mazzy/Toyota dealership and ask for a test-drive. TBH I wasnt too keen on the MR2 interior, just seemed realy tacky. You do seem to get slightly more for you money buying the MR2 over the MX5 though. Ive seen MR2s on 51 plates with -50K and a hardtop for 7k ish, the equivilent MX5 is gonna be at least 1k more.

I think the match up prety evenly to be honest, both have great engines and very are reliable cars. Im realy confused as to what to do, hoping the test drives gonna help make my mind up. Aslo need to look at the Honda too :)

12. Mother-Goose

I drove the 6 speed lsd MR2 and thats was ace, my old housemate and another mate from school have both just got the 5 speed non lsd equipped pre 2002 versions and they still have a hell of alot of grip. It gets a bit lai-lair-whoaa-lairy in the wet but its fun :D hehe MX-5 does have a boot though, which is useful.

13. Krikkit

I know a bloke with a Eunos Roadster (the old type of MX5, import), he's 6'4" and he fits just fine.

On the note of the L200 - don't bother, they're honestly the worst things to drive, not to mention tricky in the wet with nothing in the back - they have a tendancy to flip out sideways without any warning whatsoever.

Coincidentally the same bloke who has the Eunos I know has one, and it nearly killed his wife going down a motorway sliproad in the wet.

14. peteone

peteone Minimodder

Well I had a good look round yesterday, didnt get to test drive any as Id had a few beers the night before. Looked at a VX200 and ruled it out, youve gotta be a contortionist to get in them :( far to basic for me too. Im after somethig with at some lux at least.

Something else that was thrown into the equation but a big jump in price was the Z4 beema. At 15k its above my budget but a very nice car, Im gonna go back to the garage today and ask the bloke how much he will trade my A4 in for. :)

15. Valo

Valo Minimodder

well... if you can get Z4 then the choice is quite obvious...

16. fantastic dan

fantastic dan Minimodder

If you are considering 15k how about an s2000?

17. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Heathen! :hehe:

It only takes a few tries to be alright at getting in and out of Elises/VX220s in my experience as long as you put your limbs in in the right order (inside leg, arse, body/inside arm, outside leg/arm).

S2000 might be a good idea though, they are properly fast cars on twisty roads, plus have comfier seats, easy entry etc.

18. Krikkit

S2000's are a little pricey again, and they don't have the class of a Z4, but they have a seriously hardcore VTEC, and it'll never break. :D

Of course, the Z4 has a classic straight-six and looks quite classy with the right wheels/choice of colours (saw one yesterday with jam-jar 3-series wheels and a red hood/turqoise body scheme, and nearly threw up).

19. peteone

peteone Minimodder

20. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

If you have enough £££ to get a VX220 then there is absolutely no excuse for getting anything else :)

Tags: