1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dell to launch budget 22" widescreen monitor

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 8 Jan 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

"that's a shade over £310 including VAT here"

Yeah, but don't forget the R.O.B. factor which will add another £100 on top like it did to the 20" 'budget' screen over here :grr:

3. IccleD

IccleD What's a Dremel?

Bah, Budget or not, I couldn't justify spending that much on a screen.

It's over double the price of my nice 19" Widescreen I bought before Xmas.

And only a little better in the performance, not really enough for "Human Eyes" to notice.

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

i think i'll keep my eye's on this....

could make a good upgrade to my 12" CRT!

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

Well, I guess so, but Dell would just end up pricing itself out of the market. £310 seems about right for the on-paper specs... any higher and you're getting close to the Samsung 215TW, which is one of the best screens I've personally used.

6. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

I want one of those!

7. mashles

mashles What's a Dremel?

considering the price of most of the 22" lcds on the market at the moment, thats a bit overpriced. Spec wise the Belinea 2225S1W is better, and its available for under £230.

8. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

I'm agreeing with everyone else: It'll be more. The "value" 20" monitor was more expensive than a 2007WFP in the states. :wallbash:

9. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

Well, that's the third monitor Dell has announced that I still see no sign of: the 30" High-Color, the 27" Wide-screen, and now this 22" Economy-Wide-screen. Any word on when any of these will be purchasable?

10. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

Who would have thought, dell releasing gear that are actually tempting to buy

11. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Dell monitors are actually pretty top spec (Reading this on a Dell monitor...).

There isn't much difference between panels today anyway, since only a few manufacturers make LCDs, the backlight and electronics (connections, HDMI, etc) are what make monitors stand above others.

12. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Dell Canada had these on sale for $299 Canadian (with free shipping) on Boxing Day. Right now they are on sale for $329 (link) and showing a regular price of $399 Canadian.

13. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

!!

Now that is just silly cheap! Would be rude not to at that price. I paid £300 got a 22" not long ago, ah the wonders of living in the UK :clap:

14. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I could see buying one of these at $300 or even maybe $400, but it's just not enough of an improvement over my 19" CRT to justify more than that. In the end I think I'll wait for a used 2407 or somthing along those lines.

15. Tyinsar

Well, being Canadian I wouldn't want to be rude - Mine arrived today. :D (Sadly I paid the same price for a 19" not too terribly long ago - such is the way of electronics - oh well.)

16. aggies11

aggies11 What's a Dremel?

Wow, thats quite the deal $CAD. Anyone know how gaming performance is? (can't seem to find any decent reviews online yet)

Also, how is the scaling? I'm interested in making the jump to 22", but my GPU won't be able to handle that high res. I just got a 19" vx922 in the summer for the same price *wince*. Might be worth it getting an additional monitor. ;)

Aggies

17. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

I was finally able to go off and order a 215TW today and paid £349 + £7 shipping, could have gotten another £5 off probably but went for a reputable dealer instead (Komplett, where I got my last samsung from also - they seem to stock models most dont) anyhow even at £310 it would be starting to get close.

18. malcolm

malcolm What's a Dremel?

I can confirm that I've seen hard copy flyers around from Dell NZ shipping these for NZD$749.

19. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

GAH HOW DID I MISS THAT

I just picked up my Benq FP202W (20", 1,680×1,050) for about C$300 today! I had no idea about this deal! :wallbash:

20. Tyinsar

Since I got mine today I might as well state my first impressions:

It is definitely a budget monitor: The horizontal viewing angle is fine but vertically the changes in brightness are quite noticeable. Speaking of brightness the back lighting is a little uneven (with the bottom seeming brighter and a little washed out). However, once I got into a game I was surprised at it being more immersive than playing on my 19" widescreen was.

It's not the greatest 22" monitor but it is a decent one at a good price (especially on sale). The only downside is that my 7600GT is not quite up to the task with all the visual extras turned on.

@ Aankhen: Dell has a link on their page somewhere so you can sign up to get spam notice of sales & "deal days". They often have monitors on sale so it's worth waiting for next time. Any chance of returning the one you got? If not, well, yours has the same resolution as this one anyway.

Tags: Add Tags