1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friday the 13th, Old wives tale or true?

Discussion in 'General' started by P2D, 13 Jan 2006.

1. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

So what do you guys think to friday 13th? I actually believe in it, heres why.

Its 9:27am and today i've nearly broken my new phone twice, once with water dripping into the slider function (20 mins with bog roll at 5am cleaning it out) and this morning i went to itch my head and launched it at my forehead to where it bounced off the wall onto the floor. damn. So i jump in the shower and guess what! Soap in my eye! and no towels! damn! And if thats not bad enough, i've got a test at college today! noooo!!!!

Mike

2. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

well me and my girlfriend went out for the bus and there wasnt anyone at the bus stop (there usualy is) so we carried on walking and then we seen the bus, so we had to run back to the bus stop. it might not sound that unlucky but, we think it was lol.

3. Alwayz Dead

Alwayz Dead What's a Dremel?

Now I'm no expert but the whole Friday the 13th things is based on the purge of the Knights Templar that took place hundreds of years ago - might be first milenium now I think about it. Anyway, they were nearly all wiped out as the ruling powers had had enough of the power and influence they had established and so went on a killing spree. It took place during October on Friday 13th. Other than that I can't remember the details.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I thought it was the fact that Jesus n buddies were having a slap up dinner on friday evening and there was 13 of them.
    That the KT thing was also true, but done by the Church in respect for the above?

5. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

yeah i just watched something on the tv about that lol

6. Alwayz Dead

Alwayz Dead What's a Dremel?

Not sure about the last supper link but yes it was the Church that chased down the KT. As I said its just something I read some time back and its all a bit fuzzy in the mind hell, for all I know it could all be down to Jami Lee Curtis brealking a nail on set :D

7. Xenred

Xenred What's a Dremel?

I wouldnt say its been that bad so far got moved to the top class in science at school, so in my view, i think its an old wives tale

8. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Roffle!

9. finboz

finboz What's a Dremel?

Origins

The origins of Friday superstitions are many. One of the best known is that Eve tempted Adam with the apple on a Friday. Tradition also has it that the Flood in the Bible, the confusion at the Tower of Babel.

The origins of the Friday the 13th superstition have also been linked to the fact there were 13 people at the last supper of Jesus, who was traditionally crucified on Good Friday, but it probably originated only in medieval times.

It has also been linked to the fact that a lunisolar calendar must have 13 months in some years, while the solar Gregorian calendar and lunar Islamic calendar always have 12 months in a year.

Norse Legend

Another suggestion is that the belief originated in a Norse myth about twelve gods having a feast in Valhalla. The mischievous Loki gatecrashed the party as an uninvited 13th guest and arranged for Hod, the blind god of darkness, to shoot Baldur, the god of joy and gladness, with a mistletoe-tipped arrow. Baldur was killed and the Earth was plunged into darkness and mourning as a result.

'Friday' was named after Frigg (or Frigga), the Norse goddess of marriage.
    Later she was confused with the goddess of love, Freya, who in turn became identified with Friday. When the Norsemen and Germanic tribes became Christians, Freya was supposed to have been banished to the mountains as a witch. Friday came to be called 'witches' Sabbath. It was believed that on this day, each week, twelve witches and the Devil met - thirteen evil spirits in all.

France - Knights Templar

Some also say that the arrest of Jaques de Molay, Grand Master of the Knights Templar, and 60 of his senior knights on Friday, October 13, 1307 by King Philip IV of France is the origin of this superstition. That day thousands of Templars were arrested and subsequently tortured. They then 'confessed' and were executed. From that day on, Friday the 13th was considered by followers of the Templars as an evil and unlucky day.

10. bort

bort What's a Dremel?

I work with explosives (daily) and I'm not dead yet so I think its bunk, there is nothing to be worried about

11. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

damn friday 13th! that's why i have a hang over and feel crap!!

12. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Yesterday was crap... Today's been on so far (touch wood)

13. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I was in a car crash on a friday the 13th of something in 1999/2000, nearly got expelled for something I didn't do at school, on a friday 13th, and on the same day I accidently(ish) blew up the home computer as I was angry...

/me wraps up in bubble wrap for the next 12 hours

14. Emzay

Emzay "He's doing a poo!"

I think it's all a pile of steaming &*^%$!!

My friend Lisa refuses to leave the house on friday the 13th because one time her cat got ran over. Boo hoo. She even used to skip school for it when we were younger 'I'm ill!' yea right you superstitious idiot.
    She's not coming to get drunk tonight incase she falls over n dies or something. Pathetic!

15. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I think people realise bad things more on a friday 13th as they know it's friday 13th, my bad luck on friday 13th is probably just a coincidence, I've had bad luck on other days.

16. Hybr1d

Hybr1d Bаnned

Exactly, Friday 13th is a nice large heap of male cow plop :hehe:

17. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Its all psychological, if u think your gonna have a bad day then you'll tend to be more carefull and will evidently make a mistake somwhere as your thinking about all the bad things that could happen. If you treat it as a normal day then nothing bad is gonna happen and you'll be fine like everyone else :).

Yay bring on the programing exam :D

Morgan.

18. elctroJunky

elctroJunky What's a Dremel?

Friday the 13th is what you want it to be, i think...
    I personally think friday the 13th is my lucky day. For all the others, there are only two friday the 13th this year... today and in October...

19. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Personally I love Friday the 13th cos it means lots of idiots stay in & I don't have to see them :D

We had a server named "Citrix13" at work a few years back & it was awesome. I'd be the only person logged on most of the time cos everyone else would see they'd been connected to 13 & choose "disconnect & connect to new server". Muppets. It was actually server 32 they should have avoided as that was the one right near the bottom of the ramp into the computer room & got kicked on a regular basis ;)

20. RTT

RTT #parp

People actually stay inside on any given Friday 13th?.

Firing squad.