News Google drops invites for GMail

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 15 Feb 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I kinda liked the elist idea of being part of gmail and looking down on hotmail users, that said, the more the better, it has to be the best web based e-mail service out there

3. geek1017

geek1017 What's a Dremel?

My Gmail still has the invite box thingy.
    94 left apparently.

I don't really know if this is big news or not.
    Maybe it'll allow more spamers or something, but the 'invite' system and the ubiquitous 'Beta' that Google uses for everything should both be dropped.
    No matter what improvements there can be made, it is still pretty much a finished product.

Now we just need to see if the number of Gmail accounts actually goes up appreciably.

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I've been under a rock :(

5. quack

quack Minimodder

The invites will probably stay, you just don't need one to sign up.

Gmail boxes are 2.8GB by the way, not 2.5GB :)

6. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

Like geek1017, i still have the invites box, and odly enough i also have 94 invites left...

I already have about 3-4 gmail accounts linked together so i can send and recieve from all of them. Its a great service, and im glad tosee it going public (if it is).

And quack, its 2.817GB (and constantly growing) :)

7. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

I like the word 'beta' written on it. Most people I know are 'betaphobic' and for apsolutely no intelligent reason. Has to be said, GMail is the best web based email interface I have used; simple, uncluttered, easy...

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

FFS: Now everyone is gonna just sign up for accounts to spam people. A Gmail address did kind of hold some water, but not anymore since everyone will soon abuse it.

9. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

I noticed this a few days ago and I was a bit shocked, as I thought I was rather behind on it all :hehe:

10. randosome

randosome Banned

QFT

although i do have like 98 invites left, so really i could make 98 spam accounts ....

11. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

I believe it actually peaked at 100 each.

12. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Would I be massivly outnumbered if I said I didn't like gmail all that much...unless there has been changes to it in the last six months to make it tidyer and more efficent, then i'll stick with my hotmail account for msn / random stuff and my yahoo account for personal emailing...

13. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I, too, must have been living under a rock all these years. I've heard so many people raving about gmail, but I've never understood why. What does gmail offer that my current ISP's e-mail doesn't have?

-monkey

14. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

2.8GB email box? Far as i know, all ISP mail boxes are 10-100Mb

15. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

I used to be a big Yahoo! fan due to the POP3 access that no other free email service could provide (except some ISPs, but don't you hate the hassle of changing an ISP with an email that you actually use?). After Yahoo! started charging for that, I just stopped using any webbased email. I guess it was sometime in mid 2006 that I FINALLY got a gmail invite. I guess until Gmail starts charging for basic features I will stick with it.

16. Djpuk

Djpuk What's a Dremel?

I never used Gmail after I read that they store all of your traffic, search through it and aggregate what you are emailing people about for the benifit of their advertisers, it just seemed a bit snoopy to me.
    But I guess it is the same with all public webmail client providers (probably all ISP's), I only really use the webmail on our exchange server at work and steer clear of the public ones unless I absolutely have to, am I really missing that much?

17. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I think GoogleMail offers a great service and is very nice to use, but I stick with my Hotmail account because I rely heavily on Windows Live services, such as on my PDA and Messenger, so don't have a need to switch.

<A88>

18. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

And then a hundred more from each of those.

I am a huge fan of gmail. I only use it for POP downloading (IMAP would be nice!), but I've grown to love how it still keeps a copy in the 'all messages' folder after its downloaded so I can still access my downloaded messages from another computer, not to mention search them.

19. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

:rolleyes: The system looks for keywords in your emails and show relevant adverts. Therefore benefiting the advertiser (targeted advertising) and potentially you.

20. brumster

brumster What's a Dremel?

well at least we early adopters get to lord it over the new @googlemail.com users with our now unavailable (thanks to infringement) @gmail.com addresses

Tags: Add Tags