1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GPU Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloodburgers, 29 Jan 2016.

1. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

Sorry to do this guys.

My trusty 7850 is starting to show its age with the more recent titles and i think it is time to be put into my partners rig to up her fps on minesweeper.

I know the next gen of cards is around the corner but as i never buy top end cards and cant see it effecting the price of mid range cards too much.

i normally spend between 140-180 on gpu's and although i have been rocking ATI/AMDs for a long while now i am not averse to going to the green side.

I mainly play racing sims, AC, and some sports games and it all goes through my 3D TV.

Having been out of the gpu circuit for a while is there a clear winner in this price range at present?

I thank you for your time and advice.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I would hunt down a used 290/290x. The jump from a £180 card to a R9 390 for example is so huge that I would feel uncomfortable buying a card for £180. I know the 390 is £60 past your budget but the cards costing £140-£180 are generally a bit naff and a bit of a rip off.

Well, unless you go second hand where you should quite easily be able to get a GTX 780, R9 290/x GTX 970 (selling for around £180 right now second hand) and so on.