1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! DFI Infinity bios probs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slaw, 1 Sep 2005.

1. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

Hi all
    I have had a bit of a problem with my dfi infinity motherboard. Yesterday it was kinda warm here so I decided to lower the fsb and processor voltages back to default. I did this as I have done many times before and rebooted the pc. Now the pc fails to post. It doesn’t even beep when you switch it on! The power light is on, on the motherboard so it is getting power. The only thing I think it can be is a corrupt bios.

so the question is where can I get a dfi infinity mb bios. When a similar thing happened to my Abit MB, I managed to find a bios at upgradestore.co.uk but they dont seem to sell them anymore. So can anyone help?

I would be grateful if someone can flash my chip. I would of course pay you for your time and trouble.

Thanks

2. Clearion

Clearion What's a Dremel?

Download the bios from DFi, and do it yourself:) it should'n be dificult, i did it on my A8N-E mobo myself a few weeks ago. the instruktions on how do should be in the manual;)

3. slaw

i would do but i cant get the machine to boot up to do this! bummer

4. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Have you tried clearing the CMOS?

If that doesn't work, you need to find someone who has a DFI Infinity and is willing to hot flash your BIOS chip. They boot their computer into DOS, remove their BIOS chip and put yours in and flash it with a working BIOS :)

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

sounds like yet another corrupt DFI NF2 bios chip... :(

6. slaw

yep tried to clear the cmos but that didnt help either
    and i have also emailed dfi but they havent replied either

tbh i think i am going to have to find a new mb which is a bummer cos i am a bit skint at the moment :(

7. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

Its takes an aweful lot to corrupt a BIOS - besides changing settings and cycling power did you do something or see any indications besides the POSTing issue?

BTW, did you try cycling the num-lock to see if the num-lock LED cycled as well? Besides even beeps, that is the best way to know if you are really not POSTing at all. Its a common thing for people to think they are not POSTing when in fact they are.

Oh, so to give you an idea about how rare it should be for the BIOS to actually get corrupted, I personally flash about 5 BIOSes on the average business day. Many times I have 10 or more students who are flashing about 5 BIOSes a day. Many of those have basically no idea what they are doing. So over the past 10 years I have flashed (or witnessed) more than 13,000 BIOSes (10 years x52 weeks x5 days a week x5 times a day) and I have yet to see a BIOS get corrupt from 'changing settings' or 'flashing' unless a person went well out of their way to do it on purpose.

So, it is just kinda of rare. I would first suspect the DFI hardware itself is getting into some kind of deadlocked state the BIOS is not prepared to clear. I mean, appearently this is a common DFI thing.

8. slaw

thanks for that, I think I will try and strip my set up to its bare minimum and try again.

9. slaw

just got it working using a abit nf7-s and doing a hot flash. it turned out to be my old bios chip. couldt flash anything to it! luckly i had a spare!
    whopeeee!!!!

10. slaw