1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Hiking Plans - Advice Needed

Discussion in 'General' started by stuartpb, 16 Jul 2010.

1. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

I am currently in training for a planned 20 mile sponsored walk, but this is the first of a few things I want to do. Basically, I want to raise money for 3 charities that are close to my heart, and this will mean 3 events, which will all be walking/hiking events.

The advice I want is for the big one I want to do in 12 months time. I want to do a 3-4 day challenge, where I hike a set distance every day, to achieve a grand total at the end of the event. The walk I am doing now is part of the training, as will be the next walk I do in 6 months time. Here's where my plans grind to a halt though.

I used to hike a lot as a youth, and also participated in other sports too, so I was really fit back then. Now with a bit of a space hopper gut, and not a lot of activity in the past few years, my fitness has declined. As mentioned though, I am training now for my first walk, and it's going OK. Here's a question though, for the 3-4 day challenge I want to do, what would be a reasonable distance to expect to cover over the time period? Any training advice would be great too, I done some browsing, and there are masses of conflicting tit-bits of advice.

Another question, I am expecting to be doing the hike alone, as 99% of my mates think they get enough exercise walking home from the pub:D So does anyone know of any good hiking routes, where it would be safe to walk alone? Ideally, I would like the route to be within the Yorkshire area. I know there are some great routes in this area, but some aren't really suitable for solo hiking.

And lastly, I have been trying to draw up a list of equipment I would need, but am worried I may miss something essential out. I need to start buying stuff now, so I can start training with the kit I will be using, so any pointers would be much appreciated.

So if there are any hikers here who would like to help me with some advice, it would be gratefully appreciated:rock:

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I'll throw my Duke of Ed Gold equipment inventory list up here once I get home. Should be of some help to you :)

3. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Much appreciated! Thanks:rock:

4. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Pack as light as you can while still being safe and warm.
    Not lugging a huge heavy pack around with you makes the actual process of walking so much enjoyable. You see so many people lugging cheap, unsuitable or military equipment around with them looking thoroughly miserable, thinking that 20kg+ is a perfectly sensible weight to be carrying.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/

Last edited: 16 Jul 2010
  5. Mr Mario

Mr Mario What's a Dremel?

I did a bit of research into cheapish trekking tents, and from that picked up a Vango Tempest (3man) for less than £90, it's certainly very light, I'll be using it in a couple of weeks so I'll post up on here letting you know if it's any good. You can pick up Army ration packs from military surplus stores, they work out much cheaper than the vacuum packed food from hiking shops, you won't need everything in them (I would ditch the pate' straight away) and the boxes they come in take up too much room.