1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors I'm building my own car... UPDATE - Stoneliegh 2013

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 8 Sep 2005.

1. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Awards? Hell, yes. Have some rep to go with them.

2. echo three

echo three What's a Dremel?

Congratulations on the awards, well deserved looking at the build :)

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Is that it? Is she done? 2005 to 2012! It's been an epic journey GOO! Thanks for all the fish!

4. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

:hehe:

It's a kit car, Bindi - they're never 'done' ;)

5. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Wonderful! A big well done! :thumb:

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Wow GOO, that's a brilliant result, well-deserved in my opinion! I can't imagine many kit cars of this type being done with such fine attention to detail as this one.

Any plans for future tinkering?

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

props for the AMR shirt :thumb:

8. GreatOldOne

Thanks Krikkit - as for future tinkering, she needs to go off to the coach trimmers to have a tonneau made, so I can at least take her out when the wether is marginal and know that I can keep the interior dry.

That and I may do what the other chaps have done, and stroke her out to 2.8 litres. But at the moment, she's plenty quick enough with the stock 2.5 :)

Let's hope they do better this year than they did last. :thumb:

So... I'm sat at home with a nasty cold - must have caught it at the Rugby on Saturday - I'd never have got it from driving to Stoneleigh and back in an open top car :)

Anyway - I was bored, so I've added some flick through galleries on the site:

http://www.greatoldone.co.uk/galleries

If you don't want to read my purple prose, you don't have to now. ;)

9. Krikkit

Mmmm... Very nice! Tonneau's are really useful things, leave it outside the pub without cheeky fingers rooting through stuff. I hoped a 2.8 stroking might be on the cards at some point - very popular and reliable upgrade. :D

A nice touch - the refurb one is my favourite. Anyone doing a donor-car project needs to at least look through those galleries and appreciate how much work you need to put in for mint donor parts.

Out of interest GOO what welding set do you use? I've just about finished my intro to welding course and I'm now getting greedy eyes at MIG plants.

Last edited: 8 May 2012
  10. GreatOldOne

I don't - I can't weld - all the welding jobs on Vikki have been done by a local mobile welder. I do plan on getting one at some point so I can learn, and was very impressed with his little Kemppi Mig.

11. Krikkit

Ooh, and there was me thinking there's nothing you can't do!

Much love for the Kemppi machines - the one I've been using has been really nice. Not cheap mind!

12. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I remember when you first created the thread I was all for the speedster, however this has turned out to be an absolute beauty.

13. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Huge congratulations on "finishing" her GOO, this thing is absolutely awesome and the whole thread is a massive inspiration! I look forward to seeing you and Vicki at some shows and track days in the (hopefully not too distant) future! :D

14. GreatOldOne

My 40th birthday present has been fitted - All my mates chipped in to get me a dateless number plate for Vikki. The paperwork arrived yesterday, so I nipped out this morning and got some new plates made up and fitted them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I always new Vikki was a sassy little minx. Now it's official. :D

I'm going to get some *cough cough* 'Show Plates' made up in pressed black and silver, and see how I go. If the chap with the brand new Range Rover Evoque down the street can get away with it, I'm sure I can with a car that looks way past pre '72. ;)

15. Unicorn

Dateless plates, known in Northern Ireland as personalised plates ;) I always find it interesting that they mean different things in different countries - In America they're vanity plates, here they're personalised plates* and in England where all registration numbers have a date identifier, they're dateless plates :)

Very nice present for your friends to get you GOO, she looks awesome in the sun :thumb:

*Northern Ireland number plates do not have a date identifier, therefore all NI plates are dateless, but you can still tell the appriximate age and county of registration of a number by knowing the county and date letter IDs. You can still get personalised plates over here which are dateless and have a custom number/letter combination on them.

16. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

:O wow that looks amazing
    not followed this thread before...
    how much did it cost in total ?

17. Unicorn

Who painted her for you GOO? I know there's probably a painter over here who could paint a shell and some panels in a custom colour just fine, but on the off-chance that the GT4 is already on the mainland when it's ready for paint, it'd be handy to know of someone who can do work with such high quality over there :)

18. GreatOldOne

The paint was done by Normandale Products in Daventry, Northants.

http://www.autoinsider.co.uk/local/car-body-repairs/ai_10875.php

The plate doesn't really mean anything - so it not really personal. I was looking for a British (Non NI) dateless plate to hide the age of the car. The numbers have been picked to keep Pauline and her Chinese numerology happy as the numbers 9, 8 & 2 are good apparently. I picked the plate the had a decent combo of letters before it. The format of the plate means its a pre 1950 plate, as after 1950 they reversed the numbers and letters.

19. knuck

knuck Hate your face

because when he first started building this car 7 years ago, you could barely read :hehe:

It's not an insult or anything, it just puts things into perspective :jawdrop:

Last edited: 27 May 2012
  20. Canon

Canon Reformed

Awesome!

I really want to start an open wheeler project using a Formula Ford or Formula Vee chassis for private use, but living in Belfast it would be nearly impossible to store or to use it :(