1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel unveils tiny quantum computing processor

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 12 Jun 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Given that absolute zero is -273.15C, I'd really hope it can operate a little above -273. Pumped LHe systems can get to around 0.8-1.2 Kelvin without being utterly unrealistically large. SQUID magnetometers operate around those sorts of temperatures and the high field NMR systems are pumped magnets again at around 1K. For "easy" operation though you want to just be able to dunk it in LHe (4.2K) and have done with it.

Of course, as with superconductors, the "Holy Grail" is LN2 temps, because LN2 is incredible cheap and significantly easier to store than LHe.

This is super exciting, though. Do you have any links to more information? (Not links to other Bit articles...)

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Sadly, Intel has only released that one picture and a brief press release which contains no more information than the article I wrote off its back. (That's also where the operating temperature comes from, except it was in Fahrenheit and I converted it to Celsius.)

4. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Superconducting qubits are usually operated at the lowest temperatures that are feasible in a dilution refrigerator, 1K would be quite hot compared to that and the engineering issues of running a fridge are nothing compared to the issues surrounding getting qubits to actually work well.

5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

OK. I'll keep an eye out, then. Thanks. :)

Indeed, I'm familiar with just how much equipment is necessary to get down to <1K (and just how much power it draws) so if the whole thing is only workable at as-close-as-to-be-nearly-indistinguishable from absolute zero... quantum computing will hit a brick wall until high temperature superconductors become A Thing (TM). ;) It's great in an R&D lab, but for "more powerful than normal computers"... yes, but just how many KW is it sucking down if you factor everything in? It's a bit like that Intel "5GHz" 28-core Xeon; even if the chip was drawing "only" 1.3KW, the chiller is sucking down another 1-2KW...

All things take time, though. Quantum computing will get there sooner or later.

Tags: Add Tags