1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Logitech announces G900 Chaos Spectrum mouse

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 29 Mar 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

HOW MUCH !!?!?!?!?!?!?

3. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

"'We talked with eSports pros and none of them love the cable on a wired mouse,' claimed Ujesh Desai vice president and general manager of gaming at Logitech, of the device's inspiration. 'They wish they had the freedom of wireless but the performance and reliability of a wired mouse. So that was the design goal we gave our engineers, to build a wireless gaming mouse that was faster than the competition's wired gaming mice. G900 delivers on this promise, and we're confident it's the best gaming mouse we've ever built.'"

The listed specification, on Logitech's website, puts the report rate at 1000Hz (1ms). How is that faster than all the other gaming mice that share the same report rate, such as my Func MS-3?

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g900-chaos-spectrum-mouse

4. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

According to Amazon £134.99, released on 1 April - read into that what you will.

5. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Crazy price, considering my £40 wired razer deathadder can support 1000mhz and no battery woes will give me as close to this performance as makes no difference. After all human reaction times are ~150ms even for 'pro' gamers so the extra few ms of mouse lag makes naff all difference (not forgetting the variability on ping which could be another 30-40ms difference it most online tournaments).

People buy this kind of gear for the placebo effect. I'm fairly sure I played just as well with my £20 intellimouse with 400dpi as I do with a 'fancy' razer mouse. Spend more time practicing and less money on gear.

6. Taua

Taua What's a Dremel?

I thought gaming mice were getting silly past £50, but that bracket now seems occupied by the 'basic' versions. This indulgence needs a term, Gamerphile or something.

I await the release of a hockey puck mouse that floats on a bed of air for "zer0 frikti0n", with the phrase 'get pucked' etc, or a magnetically levitating mouse as used by TeAm MaGnEt0, no wait, a motion tracked mouse so you can play fps whilst you sway like a zombie DJ spinning the decks. puck the games, I need a better mouse, i NEED A BETTER MOUSE *foams at mouth*

7. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Just a little perspective on DPI levels. Again my razer allows me to go from 400dpi to 1600dpi.

This equates to a dot every ~64microns to ~16microns, a micron is 10^-6 of a meter. A human hair ranges from 40 to 600 microns. So if you think that you can move your mouse with an accuracy of 1/4 of the width of human hair then you may benefit from running very high DPI.

I doubt the most accurate gamer can aim to within a millimetre (10^-3 of a meter), not to mention that a 24" 1080p monitor has DPI of 96 so even if you could aim that well the crosshair isn't even able to register that level of accuracy (96dpi is ~1 pixel per 265 microns)

Disclaimer: these are all back of envelope calculations and they may be subtleties which I have I missed but you get the point.

Edit: This article covers it very nicely (ironically from a Logitech engineer) that high DPI isn't always better. http://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-mouse-myths-busted/#page-1

Last edited: 29 Mar 2016
  8. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

Wait.

What?

WUAT???

9. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

GOOD EVENING, SHELDON COOPER?

10. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I'd say the G602 is more than fast enough to be a wireless mouse for most competitive gaming (not sure about major tournaments as I've never been to one) and can often be picked up for 1/3 of the price of the G900.
    I keep my G602 on endurance mode and it lasts for approximately 3-4 months of the mouse being used for almost 5 hours a day before I need to switch out the batteries. I believe it's able to go from 250DPI to 2500DPI, so quite a good sensitivity range for FPS games.