1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

London's Calling!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by MystChic, 13 May 2007.

1. MystChic

MystChic Geology Rocks!

Okay - so not *just* London.. but you get the idea :)
    In just three short weeks I'll be visiting the lovely little island that so many of our bit-techers call home.
    I was wondering if anyone knew of any places I could visit that would keep me off the beaten tourist track.
    I'll be staying with my cousin in Essex (yes I know, I've heard all the jokes about Essex girls... :p) but I'll also make it to Cornwall, Devon.. even across to Belgium! But I have three weeks that need to be filled up..

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. :idea:

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

If you're in Devon, the Eden Project is supposed to be good. If you fancy coming a bit further away, Scotland's very pretty, although there isn't really masses to do.

3. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

Relix (<---- that dude) will be waiting for you. *evil laugh*

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That's a point, if you're in Belgium you could go to the Rock Werchter Festival, which has possibly the best lineup ever this year.

5. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

Theres loads of places you can go really im not sure what to suggest.

If you are going to eden project stonehenge is on the way.

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

the British Museum is pretty good if you're into that kind of thing...

Outside of London, I'd recommend visiting Oxford and/or Cambridge too - probably two of the most picturesque cities in England - and if you've got time to visit Edinburgh, I'd also highly recommend that too. It's my favourite city in the UK. :thumb:

7. dom_

dom_ --->

Lake district. Go walking, amazing views and loads of stuff you wont see in Australia. If you do go, make sure you go to the northern lakes (bassenthwaite, keswick etc) much better than the southern lakes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Why the **** visit Oxford? The only nice thing there are some of the old uni buildings.

9. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Well, if you don't go to Oxford, don't even dare considering going to Cambridge... [/slight bias]

:p

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea, it's only worth spending a day there but it has a nice uni buildings. However, if you're going for that reason, you might as well visit Stratford (upon Avon) where old Wil Shakey was born.

Ogmore beach, and the south west coast of Wales is nice (has Dolphins sometimes). Tenby is a chav hole and tourist trap like Newquay though so avoid it.

Cardiff? Bay area and Millennium Stadium/Centre is quite nice, lots of restaurants and open areas in the bay. Dunno what you're expecting to do really.

11. fatty

fatty Minimodder

Ok myst if you want to get the whole what aussie's kiwi's and saffa's get up too here in london, you need to go to the church in kentish town its on on sundays I think 12:00 till 14:00, also you will need to hit a walkabout pub and the redback
    Or
    go to camden visit the markets, green park go to buckingham palace see the changine of the gaurd http://www.royalparks.gov.uk/tourists/changing_guard.cfm

stuff like that

oh the london eye the best bet is do a big red bus tour around london you can get tickets at greenpark tube station on the victoria line (light blue) this will be one of the best ways to see londons sights its also jump on jump off for 24 hrs

12. MystChic

MystChic Geology Rocks!

Aww, thanks a lot everyone :) You've all been really helpful. At least now I wont be relying on a tourist information booth to keep me occupied.

I've decided against wearing my Ashes 06-07 series shirt. Could see the headlines now "Australian woman refused entry for wearing offensive t-shirt".

Any ideas on how long it'd take to drive to Scotland from Essex?

13. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

Best bet by car would be 4 maybe 5 hours, depending on how fast you drive. Not sure how long on the train. But its easy to get to.

14. dom_

dom_ --->

You mean 5 maybe 6 from essex, but dependant where from in essex.

15. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

and dependant on where in scotland you wanted to go to. its about 5 hours from birmingham to edinburgh so 7and a bit hours from essex, most likely. same for stirling and about an hour less to get to glasgow as its all motorway, and anywhere further north starts to add on the hours as the roads can get windy and slow.

16. MystChic

MystChic Geology Rocks!

Okay - so 8 hours is plenty of time if I wanna stop somewhere along the way.

I know it's coming up to summer there.. but how hot do your summers get? Is June the start of summer?
    *note to self - pack sunscreen*

17. tacticus

tacticus What's a Dremel?

o_O
    Whats that green stuff in the pictures?
    And that blue stuff in the second one :p

/me needs see the sea again :(

18. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

LOL, tourism is huge it Oxford. It's really annoying when you need to go to the shops and you have to fight your way around hordes of Chinese or French school kids.

If you go to Oxford try and organise a guided tour. They can take you to all the important sites and show you the bits that are worth seeing.

19. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

When the summer properly gets going then London is quite an unforgiving city. Make sure you wear light easy wearing clothes and always carry water and sunglases with you.

Also watchout on using the underground during the heat as it feels like being in a oven, thats where the water and a small flanel comes inhandy.

20. MystChic

MystChic Geology Rocks!

O goody - a london oven! What memories to bring home. You've all been really helpful. Nothing quite beats bit-tech travel advice.

Now spending 5 days in Belgium, AH!
    Not only is getting to Belgium cheaper than travelling interstate here - it's also a bit closer. Nice change.

I'm getting nervous now..