1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Monitor detected with incorrect native resolution

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by crazybob, 25 Aug 2008.

1. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

I recently moved my computer several hundred miles, and when I set everything back up, my main monitor detected incorrectly as a Novatek 563D, with a native resolution of 1280x1024.

The monitor in question is a Planar PL2010M with a native resolution of 1600x1200, running through DVI from a 9600gt. OS is Windows XP 32-bit.

I've tried a few things already in the hopes of fixing the problem, but nothing's worked:
    -Tried connecting the monitor to a different video output
    -Tried disconnecting, restarting, and reconnecting the monitor to force it to re-detect
    -Updated to the latest NVidia drivers (can't recall what version I had, but the new ones are 175.19)

I also turned on unsupported video modes in the NVidia Control Panel and set a custom resolution at 1600x1200. The monitor continued displaying at 1280x1024 and allowed the screen to pan around to view the full 1600x1200.

I have a second monitor which has been connected at all times, but which is detecting correctly and seems to be working perfectly.

Is this a common problem? Do you think it's caused by the monitor, or by the graphics card? Can anyone think of any way to fix the problem?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Reseat the GPU, check/secure other components. Be sure nothing is loose. Also be sure none of the pins on the monitor side of the cable are bent/missing.

Also uninstall the monitor drivers, not the GPU drivers, and let the PC detect the hardware over.

Hope that helps in some way.

:)

3. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

Thanks for the response. I've checked all my connections and reseated everything - everything seemed normal, and the problem still exists. At this point, in addition to the things I'd tried in my original post, I've tried:
    -Swapping DVI cables
    -Uninstalling monitors in Device Manager
    -Checked all connections, both internal and external

Any further suggestions would be appreciated; it's extremely irritating to have this not working correctly.

4. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

does it do it on another pc (if you have one to test it with)?

5. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

If the monitor was detected correctly in the previous place, then Windows should come with the right drivers too. You could try using them instead of the wrong Novatek ones.

Go to device manager.
    Choose the monitor, go to properties.
    Try looking for a button called "Install or update drivers" or something.
    When it asks if you want it to look for the correct drivers, say no and choose to select the drivers from a list.
    When the list is there, select "monitors".
    Another list comes (manufacturers), choose Planar. On the right, choose the right model.
    Finish the guide. If it asks for the Windows CD, give that to it.
    Reboot.

6. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

Golygus: Unfortunately, I don't have another computer with a DVI output to test. I tried loading up an old version of Ubuntu from CD, but had some unrelated issues with that and didn't even make it to the desktop.

mm vr: I gave it a try, but because the monitor used a standard Plug-and-Play driver in the old location, it doesn't have a specific driver in the list. Also, it's very difficult to decide which monitor is which; Device Manager lists 3 Default Monitors and two Plug and Play Monitors. I never had cause to look at that before, so I can't tell you what the list looked like before the problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I'm a little surprised nobody else seems to have had this issue.

7. outlawaol

Its an odd one, thats why! :)

5 monitors in the DM is odd, uninstall them all and restart the PC.

8. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

there should be only as many monitors listed as there are physically.

delete all 5 and reboot - hopefully the machine will re-install just the one.

if it still uses the wrong driver, force it to use the PnP driver instead.

9. toric334

toric334 What's a Dremel?

Try a VGA connection (if the monitor has it). Will at least rule out a cable issue.

10. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

I tried removing all the devices in Device Manager and restarting (as well as installing Service Pack 3 during the same restart) and still the problem persists. My next step will be testing the VGA connection, which I'll do sometime this weekend when I get my hands on a VGA cable. I'm not going to pay $15 to a local store for a poor-quality cable just to test, so I have to wait until I can borrow one. I'll update as soon as I do, though.

Once again, I appreciate all the responses. It's nice to have so many people trying, even if we aren't really getting anywhere.

11. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

I got my hands on a VGA cable this afternoon, and gave that a try; the problem's still there. I also gave the monitor a try on my laptop (VGA output only, which is why it's taken me this long to test), and the problem seems to be happening there, as well. I didn't spend quite as long playing with settings, and due to different video card vendors I can't get quite the same information, but the problem's still there.

I think I'm going to be RMA-ing my monitor. Planar has an exceptional warranty, with 2-day advance replacement, so I'll be back up and running shortly. On the other hand, it appears this model of monitor has undergone a panel switch, so my pretty S-IPS panel will probably be replaced with a TN panel. I suppose if I make enough fuss they might be able to find me an appropriate replacement, but I won't hold my breath.

12. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

I spoke with Planar support, and all my issues were very quickly resolved. This is apparently a common issue with this model of monitor, and has to do with the controller chip or something along those lines. They'll be giving me an Advance-Replacement RMA and paying shipping both ways, and the RMA will not only be the same model number, but also the same part number - no worries about the panel change; I'm getting the same thing I've got now.

Overall, very impressed with Planar. I'd recommend their products to anyone.

13. outlawaol

Well, the mystery is resolved. Good to know it worked out. But I still find it odd that just by moving it about it got screwed up. Chip was wacked out of place?

:)

14. RickWilson

RickWilson What's a Dremel?

I have had this same problem on two different PCs at work with two different Planar PL2011M monitors. I think power failures were the cause both times -- neither monitor was moved in both cases. We just came in the next day and had this same symptom. I think these Planar monitors must be vulnerable to small power surges which causes them to misrepresent themselves to PnP. I didn't see anything on the Planar site, but I'm going to see if I can RMA these two as well.

Thanks!

15. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

Sorry it's taken me a few days to update this thread, but I've been busy. The replacement monitor showed up Wednesday of last week, which is pretty reasonable turnaround time. Unfortunately, the replacement appears to have the same problem.

This surprised me so much that I made a huge effort to ensure I wasn't at fault somehow. I tried several computers, several video drivers, and both analog and digital inputs. I'm very confident that it's not a setting wrong in my system, so I'll be going for a double-RMA. Unfortunately, their support seems quite busy today; I waited on hold twice for around ten minutes each before deciding to try back later. I don't have much free time tomorrow, but hopefully I can get this resolved properly sometime this week.

16. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

I called support again, and they were both very apologetic and very helpful. They'll be giving me a second advance-replacement RMA and with any luck this one will work correctly. I can't wait to look at things in non-blurryvision again (though I must say, the scaling on this monitor is astonishingly good).

I'm confident that this was just a case of supremely bad luck, and not Planar's fault. I'm extremely impressed with how helpful their support is and how well they're handling the situation.

17. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

The second replacement monitor arrived today, and works perfectly. I'm very impressed with Planar support, and although there was some bad luck in there I'll definitely be recommending the brand to others.

18. micheltexas

micheltexas What's a Dremel?

Great Planar support

Hi,

I had 2 planars 2010M do the same think to me. They said they have to reflash a chip inside the monitor. Seems to be a known issue indeed.

Called Planar support at 7PM. I will receive 2 replacement units with an advance replacement plan. All I have to do is provide a credit card number for collaterals and ship the old ones back and I wont get charged for anything if I do that. Awesome support by an American guy (not "Josh" in Bangalore like with so many companies), polite, fast and efficient. I'll buy Planar again!!!

19. lijujg

lijujg What's a Dremel?

Planar 2010M Issue Fixed

I have a Windows 7 RTM build that started acting the same way connected to a KVM being shared with a Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 machines. 2003 and 2008 didnt have the problem and it was easy to swap cables around to validate that only the Win 7 machine was having the problem and rule out all other issues (bad cable, bad KVM port etc)

I uninstalled the Generic non PNP driver from Device Manager and rebooted the machine and it resolved itself.

The problem did come back once more and followed same steps - has been stable for a few days now.

20. coder0xff

coder0xff What's a Dremel?

I had a power outage, and I was not so lucky - my monitor is 3 months out of warranty. Naturally they weren't interested in helping. They did at least tell me that the EDID is misreported. I managed to find the cached EDID information in my registry, and made a .inf (driver installer file) that will override the EDID. It not only restored functionality, but the make and model information (everything actually) is back to exactly how it should be.

Code:
    ; This driver inf file can be used to correct a Planar PL2010M that is incorrectly
    ; identifying itself as a Novatek 563D after a power failure.
    ; Go to device manager > monitors, and update the driver for the malfunctioning monitor
    ; by using "Have Disk..." and selecting this file as the new driver.
    ; It will report that the driver is not signed. This is expected. Choose to proceed
    ; with the installation. Reboot the computer to take effect.

; Courtesy of: coder0xff

; INF file generated by Monitor Asset Manager (2.59.0.920), 2/11/2011
    ; Internet: http://www.entechtaiwan.com

[Version]
    Signature="$WINDOWS NT$"
    Class=Monitor
    ClassGUID={4d36e96e-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    Provider=%MFG%
    DriverVer=2/11/2011, 1.0.0.0
    ;CatalogFile=YourSignedCatalogFile.cat

[DestinationDirs]
    DefaultDestDir=23

[SourceDisksNames]
    1=%DISC%

[SourceDisksFiles]
    ;YourColorProfileFile.icm

[Manufacturer]
    %VENDOR%=EDID_OVERRIDE,NTx86,NTamd64

[EDID_OVERRIDE.NTx86]
    %PRODUCTID%=OVERRIDDEN-EDID.Install, MONITOR\PNR2000

[EDID_OVERRIDE.NTamd64]
    %PRODUCTID%=OVERRIDDEN-EDID.Install.NTamd64, MONITOR\PNR2000

[OVERRIDDEN-EDID.Install.NTx86]
    DelReg=DEL_CURRENT_REG
    AddReg=OVERRIDDEN-EDID.AddReg, MODE1, DPMS
    CopyFiles=OVERRIDDEN-EDID.CopyFiles

[OVERRIDDEN-EDID.Install.NTamd64]
    DelReg=DEL_CURRENT_REG
    AddReg=OVERRIDDEN-EDID.AddReg, MODE1, DPMS
    CopyFiles=OVERRIDDEN-EDID.CopyFiles

[OVERRIDDEN-EDID.Install.NTx86.HW]
    AddReg=OVERRIDDEN-EDID_AddReg

[OVERRIDDEN-EDID.Install.NTamd64.HW]
    AddReg=OVERRIDDEN-EDID_AddReg

[OVERRIDDEN-EDID_AddReg]
    ;Base EDID
    HKR,EDID_OVERRIDE,"0",0x01,0x00,0xFF,0xFF,0xFF,0xFF,0xFF,0xFF,0x00,0x41,0xD2,0x00,0x20,0x01,0x01,0x01,0x01,0x28,0x11,0x01,0x03,0x80,0x29,0x1F,0x78,0x2A,0x30,0x85,0xA6,0x56,0x4A,0x99,0x24,0x14,0x50,0x54,0xBF,0xEF,0x00,0x61,0x46,0x71,0x4A,0x71,0x4F,0x81,0x40,0x81,0x4A,0x81,0x4F,0x81,0x80,0xA9,0x40,0x48,0x3F,0x40,0x30,0x62,0xB0,0x32,0x40,0x40,0xC0,0x13,0x00,0x98,0x32,0x11,0x00,0x00,0x1E,0x00,0x00,0x00,0xFD,0x00,0x31,0x4B,0x18,0x50,0x11,0x00,0x0A,0x20,0x20,0x20,0x20,0x20,0x20,0x00,0x00,0x00,0xFC,0x00,0x50,0x6C,0x61,0x6E,0x61,0x72,0x50,0x4C,0x32,0x30,0x31,0x30,0x4D,0x00,0x00,0x00,0xFF,0x00,0x41,0x4A,0x37,0x34,0x30,0x46,0x32,0x30,0x37,0x38,0x30,0x0A,0x20,0x00,0xC3

[DEL_CURRENT_REG]
    HKR,MODES
    HKR,EDID_OVERRIDE
    HKR,,MaxResolution
    HKR,,DPMS
    HKR,,ICMProfile

[DPMS]
    HKR,,DPMS,,1

[MODE1]
    HKR,,MaxResolution,,"1600,1200"

[OVERRIDDEN-EDID.AddReg]
    HKR,"MODES\1600,1200",Mode1,,"24.0-80.0,49.0-75.0,+,+"

[OVERRIDDEN-EDID.CopyFiles]
    ;YourColorProfileFile.icm

[Strings]
    MFG="Planar"
    DISC="Planar PL2010M EDID Fix"
    PRODUCTID="PNR PlanarPL2010M (PNR2000 EDID Fix)"
    VENDOR="PNR"

Big thanks to EnTech for their utilities!

Tags: