1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory New HDD can't be detected in BIOS

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by SmilerAl, 3 Jan 2015.

1. SmilerAl

SmilerAl Terminate with extreme prejudice

I've recently bought the Seagate 3TB HDD for my PC with the Gigabyte EX58-UD3R motherboard.
    However after plugging in the power and SATA cable there seems to be no obvious method of connecting it. I've gone into the BIOS but there seems to be no clear way of adding it. I've tested the cables by replacing the cables plugged in to my other Seagate 1TB HDD that I've had in there for years but still no success. I can confirm that the HDD is receiving power as it definitely spinning when powered on.

I feel I'm missing something obvious here, my last dealings with storage was installing my 64GB SSD to run Windows on, so I don't feel I'm a complete novice here. Any help please?

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Are you sure that port you're using is actually turned on? Change ports on the motherboard to start with.

3. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Yup, try plugging it in using the same ports and cables that you know work with your other HD, then you can narrow it down to just the drive. It sounds like you might have a dud, but you've still got the receipt right?

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

When you say "no obvious method of connecting it" and "no clear way of adding it", connecting it to what, adding it to what ?

5. SmilerAl

SmilerAl Terminate with extreme prejudice

Well that was weird, after loading failsafe profile in the BIOS all my connected storage devices and disk drives showed up in the CMOS, including the new hard drive. Only took a day to fix that! Thanks for the suggestions and quick responses anyway guys.

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

You may need a bios update, some controllers had a 2 TB limit

7. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

It's likely that the controller you were plugging it into was disabled in the past, hence it reappearing once the failsafe was loaded.