1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia doesn't care what physics library devs use

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 14 Oct 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Well...That's not a smart thing to say.

3. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

If its only Nvidia GPU's that can do the Physics, and Nvidia keep their drivers locked down, it won't be going anywhere....
    Developers are just going to peeve all of the ATi players out there, and there are more and more of them.

4. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

When it is taken out of context, maybe. However...

That changes things somewhat.

I see this as another example of Nvidia getting off their backsides and working with developers on all sorts of GPU physics implementations - so if you want GPU physics of any type, it has probably been tested the most on Nvidia GPU's.

It also looks like GPU agnostic physics is what Nvidia wants too.

5. cheeriokilla

cheeriokilla What's a Dremel?

They mention Batman: Arkham Asylum but I think Red Faction: Guerrilla is a big hit on the PhysX boys, Havok works on all hardware therefore it will become the primary API for physics based gameplay... You can't build a game like Red Faction with PhysX and discard all ATI systems.

The Frostbite engine that the Battlefield franchise uses to deliver all the destruction is also based on Havok.

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

I think you'll be surprised. There's a lot of excitement (from AMD, Nvidia and a bunch of devs we've spoken to) about Bullet... mainly because it's open source and is being ported to OpenCL.

7. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

this just means they realized that devs rather use a open or universal physics standard then one that limits their audience to one card maker which isnt good for business lol nVidia saw this and figured well better start saving are ass from the loss in what we wasted on PhysX that honestly in the whole time they have had it really didnt go anywhere.

8. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

But it wasn't wasted - the exercise was a fore-runner for every other GPU physics solution that will follow, including Bullet - Physx gets ported to CUDA, CUDA and OpenCL are closely related (Nvidia are head of the OpenCL implementation group), Physx provides a base from which to move forward.

Clicky
    Clicky

9. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

Yeah. I don't get why lots say NVIDIA is hostile towards OpenCL when they are part of the standards group. Time to get facts straight.
    PhysX was just a small thing in this and it was a good idea at the time. Ageia didn't go anywhere with it's PPU cards (how many bought those really) and PhysX made more sense on the GPU.

I think it's mostly ATI owners who bash on this 'cos they somehow want great physics in their games but when NVIDIA does it, it is lame. People are stupid as usual.

Also you have to separate GPGPU frameworks (CUDA, OpenCL) from Physics frameworks (PhysX, Havok, Bullet).
    I think a lot of people get confused over this.
    Any physics framework can run on whatever you want (GPU, CPU, or a special PPU as in the case of the Ageia cards).
    It's just that PPUs and GPUs are faster at this than traditional processors.

Last edited: 17 Oct 2009
  10. Wossack

Wossack What's a Dremel?

Anyone else think he looks like fred flintstone in that pic? :worried:

Tags: Add Tags