1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia releases free Call of Duty 4 maps

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Jun 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

3. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

QFT!

4. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

This is great news, very impressed with nvidia :D

5. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

No love for xbox 360 gamers.

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Score.

Freebies :B

7. EnglishLion

EnglishLion working for the good of mankind...

Can someone convince them to release a PC version of GTA4 too. There's just too many reasons not to game on PCs with regard latest releases for this to be of any significance really although if you play lots of COD4 then I'm sure it's well appreciated.

Have there been any cases of hardware companies releasing their own additional maps freely but embedded with strategically placed ads?

8. badders

They've already got it.

9. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

far too much of it, frickin epic!

10. liratheal

But they had to pay for it :B

<joke>And who said console gaming was cheaper than PC gaming?</joke>

11. Orlix

Orlix What's a Dremel?

This is cool, the best part there will be no bla bla about piracy on this one :D

12. badders

Those mugs will pay for anything - they pay to play online ..!!

13. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

Woo, maybe we'll get a break from crossfire.

14. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

About time Nvidia is putting our invested expensive video card money to some use, they make billions of dollars from us gamers. Now I hope my dream of Nvidia actually invest in some next gen games for the PC so we can put our Nvidia cards to good use again. Because if all we get is the only dx10 game called Crysis for the next 3 years and horrible console ports. Then who wants to buy another video card eh?

15. inflatable

inflatable What's a Dremel?

First I want to say, thanks to IW (and Nvidia I guess) for the maps and continueing support with the 1.6 patch..

Secondly, this whole Nvidia sponsorship deal is probably just an excuse to be able to give away this mappack for free on PC while consolegamers have to pay for them (10 bucks).. This kind of content has always been free on PC, mostly without sponsors, so they knew they couldn't get away with charging for it.. Only other option was to never release it on PC (thanks that they did anyway).. But that leaves the question, why aren't these kind of sponsorships possible on the consoles? Just stick a sponsor on it and make DLC free, easy as that.. Good alternative for the premium DLC BS going on now especially on Xbox Live..

On the other hand, offcourse I understand them wanting the extra easy money, they're in the buisiness to make money.. This DLC mappack sold over a million times already on Xbox Live, that's over 10 million bucks in the pocket for a lousy 4 map mapack (of which 2 are not even fullsize maps, and another 1 is a remake).. A lot of consolegamers are giving the signal that premium DLC is ok with them by buying into it, so the industry takes advantage of that.. All I hope this premium DLC BS (made up by who else then Micro$oft) doesn't blow over to the PC aswell.. Sponsorship now, our wallets later? I hope not!

No wonder 'they' want to get rid of PC gaming (conspiracy theory) by sending all these messages it's dying etc.. They can't milk the PC as they can the consoles.. :(

16. reflux

reflux What's a Dremel?

Thanks Nvidia, you are awesome!

17. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Thats because PC gamers are intelligent bunch of people compared to the power-on button console mindless platform playing users that also had all other previous 'nintendo-like' consoles before. Those of you who are going to complain to me about "I have a pc and buyed a console alongside" are probably the ones that bought a RTR (Ready To Run) PC, from one of those OEM PC manufacturers anyway. And if you have build your own PC and still have one of those consoles, you are a traitor to the PC gaming community and should be ashamed of your self. But that is my honest sarcastic humorous opinion... :D

18. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

I always welcome free stuff and I shall expect more of it.

Mr. PS3! Hide, they've found us out.

19. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

heh, i have to bite on the above (ok, i dont have to, but i am going to) - i have a high end pc which i put together myself (i shy away from the word "built" given the modders on bit-tech redefine the meaning of that :D ) and a Wii/Xbox360. I am a gainfully employed mid 20's gamer with limited time to play, but still get decent use out of all of those. Consoles are great for "pick up and play for 30mins", gta4 being the obvious example. I have to say though, i am against shooters on console - if i have to hear one more time about how console controllers are "just as good once you get used to them" i may kill someone. But i digress.
    The point i was going to make is that as a long time PC FPS gamer, i think its very naive to say "pc gamers are more intelligent and wouldnt pay for nothing" (ignoring for a moment the obvious fallacy here, "insert ffs n00b your gay/lame") - in the clan play scene where people get incredibly hooked on their games, if map packs and the like were released for a nominal fee, you can bet your ass they are gonna buy it. I play cod4 a fair bit at the moment, and if this map pack had a pricetag, i'd pretty much have to buy it to carry on playing in my clan, else how would we respond to challenges on the new maps etc?

20. liratheal

What people do with their money is none of our business. I'm happy in the knowledge that I've still got mine :B

Unless that have vast sums of money and don't mind throwing it away..

Tags: Add Tags