Notebooks Oldest Laptop in everyday use?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Goreblast, 18 Apr 2006.

1. Callum

Callum What's a Dremel?

My home computer only had 128 MB of RAM until a year ago... It now has 256 MB...

You damn elitists ;)

2. korhojoa

korhojoa durr

It actually earlier had only 160 mb, i found a spare 128 stick in the garage some months ago. (224 seems to be the memory limit)
    ;)

3. Goreblast

Goreblast What's a Dremel?

Count yourselves lucky my Asus 500mb Celeron has its max memory installed at 192. Had a base memory of 64mb and I added a 128mb module. Thats the most it takes. Even tried unsuccessfully to upgrade the cd-rom drive to an old Dell DVD-ROM, but the bios wouldnt recognise it. It has been well worth every penny (was £1400) at the time, but almost 6 years on it is still in everyday use for internet and basic office functions. The only problem is the case is developing a crack near one of the screen hinges, but just gotta be careful I suppose.

4. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

I had an old toshiba, (i dont know the model number) that i picked up about 12 years ago it had a pentium, and a floppy drive, no usb, and used an add on track ball for the pointer. It cliped onto the side.

the most notable thing was the portable printer that it had.

The printer was a little dot matrix about 13 inches ong and 3 inches wide. it used the ribbon feed paper, it was a fun little printer.

I used that laptop untill 2 years ago when i got my new hp. There were some problems. I had to buy custom made battery packs at 80 bucks a pop.

5. Mortus

Mortus What's a Dremel?

HAHA i bought two of these to mod to digital picture frames.

100Mhz i think

Oh does that count as still in everyday use?

6. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

Lucky you, i've never benn able to do anything else but display clock full screen with it :hehe:

7. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Ive had a 486 dx 66 with win 95 used for programming lego mindstorms and playing dos games.

8. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

I have a 16-year+ old laptop, 80meg hard drive, windows 3.1. I use it as a massive serial lcd for my pc.

9. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

for some reason the portege's just run xp like a charm, i had a 7140ct, and at 500mhz it ran like it had a 1ghz proc under the hood, had 192 ram on it and it ran like a demon!, very fast shutdown and startup times

10. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I used to have my sexy itty-bitty Toshiba Protegé 3110CT, with its 19mm of goodness, and its blazing fast 300mhz P2 with 128 mb of ram and a snazzy 2mb video card. Of course, then somehow it breaks when in my backpack in the center pocket in a padded laptop bag and i drop my bag a foot. Screen gets a nice big crack and goes crazy with lines and flickering. I was so mad that day, but oh well. I also have my P1 133mhz picture frame laptop, running Powerpoint 97 for its slideshows. Gets the job done.