1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Out of Range error (complicated)

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by kylesaisgone, 9 Jan 2011.

1. kylesaisgone

kylesaisgone What's a Dremel?

I have a pretty unusual 'Out of Range' error, unlike most that come up on Google. It's not my monitor settings or anything like that, there's definitely a hardware issue.

I'm completely unable to look at pictures on my desktop, I can't open video files or anything, can't play games, but for some reason, when I do all of the above in a browser, like Firefox, I'm able to. If I download a .gif or a .jpeg file, and I go to view it with Windows Picture Viewer, I immediately black screen and my monitor says 'Out of Range'. Sometimes if I hit a button, or push in the power button, I get a weird and annoying noise.

I'll also get the crash sometimes when I'm just regularly browsing the web for an hour or two. I'll load up a page with a crapton of images, and it'll just crash. After rebooting, I can load up the same page just fine. Sometimes, there are certain elements on a page that will crash me every time I go to it. Because of that fact, I haven't been able to determine what it is, but some pages I have to just completely avoid.

My question is: What hardware issue is likely causing this.

This is the prebuilt rig I'm using.

(HD4850 Series GFX Card)

My dilemma is that my car broke down, and I need to buy a new car, so I don't want to go poking around in my comp unless I really have to. If I lose my computer, I won't be able to buy another one for a couple of months, so I have to play it carefully.

That being said, I've read some stuff about my particular computer having an issue with the fan on the GFX card dying. If that's the case, would the fan sensor still be working in GPU-Z? My GPU-Z reports that my GPU temperature is almost always consistently idling around 60c, which is very high, I realize.

It seems pretty clear that it's my GPU, but I want to be absolutely, positively certain. For a while I was convinced it was my PSU, then my friend said it could possibly be my Mobo.

Thanks!

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Borrow another GPU and install it in your machine. If it's your GPU that's faulty, it will no doubt fix the issue, then you'll know whether it's safe to invest in a new one. If not, then do the same with other components. Probably the PSU or memory would be my next line of enquiry.

3. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

4. kylesaisgone

kylesaisgone What's a Dremel?

I narrowed the issue down with the help of a friend shortly after making this thread. I did a fresh install of Windows after formatting, and I started crashing much more frequently. I couldn't even install software, so I busted out my Live CD and installed Linux. At this point, I'm pretty sure it's either hardware acceleration causing the crashing (I'm still able to crash in Linux if I hit the button that minimizes all Windows to the tray and shows the desktop) or perhaps some issue with DX10 (Since it's built into Windows 7). Since moving to Ubuntu, I've been able to watch movies fullscreen, view pics, etc., and it's drawing from my CPU, so at this point, I'm 100% positive it was my video card. I'll just have to set aside some money to buy a video card.

5. cchr

cchr Minimodder

nevermind,
    try putting your monitor on lower settings, it has to be a conflict between the gpu and the monitor.